Five-string Neck-thru Warwick Vampyre Bass

Prostheta

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but if you compare the price of the hardware (tailpiece, bridge and baseplate for bridge) and factor in shipping, it's actually still a good deal. Some top end bass bridges cost WAY more than those and aren't as good quality. The only difference is that they don't have the Warwick "W" logo but hey - I'm more than happy with that.

smartass.gif

Dude, are you kidding?! Don't buy the MECs. You CAN buy them from bonzai music in england, but they're MAD expensive. More so than SD basslines or EMGs. HOWEVER, if you ARE set on MECs, just put up adds on forums everywhere, I had a customer that was, so I did that, and got TWO sets (ie: 4 pickups) of J-style active MEC Golds for $70. Was an AMAZING deal.

Chris

I've never tried MECs, and I'm in no hurry as I've always gotten along with EMGs. I'm about as likely to consider something else instead of EMGs as much as I'd like a pink bass. Unless they were Bartolini's in which case I'd sneak the pink bass in under a blanket before stripping it silly and checking those Barts out.

UPDATE!

Routed the back for the neck tenon which has had two additional pieces of bloodwood and four black veneer pinstripes added either side (because I love it, and they'll add further interest to the neck-meets-body sculpting) and glued the whole thing together! I might even consider a control cavity at some point.

CLICK FOR LARGER VERSION

vampyre5_31_safe.jpg

Another shot...

UPDATE!!

Today I rounded over the back and used a rasp to shape in the back of the neck to body joint, and to improve access to the 26th fret. Without further deepening the cutaway, access to the high A is easily manageable with my second finger although full hand access to the second octave is comfortable through to my pinky. I'll leave it there methinks. :-D

The general shaping of the horns is round on the inside curves and I have brought down the maple to the black poplar pinstripe at the tips. This will allow me to finish the faux bind and bring the dyed top down into the cutaways. I am considering routing off the laminated ebony fingerboard binding and replacing it with flame maple binding to continue the theme and further tie the instrument together. Anyway. To the Batcave!

vampyre5_34.jpg

OTHER SIDE OF NECK JOIN

THE BACK

The eagle-eyed among you may have spotted that I have routed the control cavity on the top side of the body. This is because I am planning on having the pots only accessible from the back so as not to cover up that awesome maple with knobs and doohickeys. I like the cleaner symmetrical look this will give the instrument. Given that I ditched the idea of an EQ system, I thought that a pair of volume controls and a kill switch are all I would require. I used a Dinky cavity template for the routing which is more than capacious enough for two batteries and pot bodies, although I am tempted to bring the cavity shape out somewhat to match the outline of the instrument.

• 1 month later...