Five-string Neck-thru Warwick Vampyre Bass

Prostheta

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The basic design is a neck tenon of 10 laminates, a 20mm thick top flame maple full cap and two rear wings, with a black pinstripe between them and the maple.

The neck tenon is (outside to centre) 33mm flame maple, 0.7mm dyed black poplar, 5mm bloodwood, 0.7mm black poplar, 10mm rock maple, 5mm ebony. This should be bright and stable. The ebony should reinforced the lower fundamentals.

The laminated neck tenon, sanded and oiled for the visual feelgood factor!

Detailed shot of the neck laminations

Test oiled scrap with flash and Test oiled scrap without flash. As you can see, I sanded at 80/120/180/240/320/400/600/800/1200 and then burnished with a burred stanley blade before oiling, buffing with 1200 and oil and a final thin coat of oil. The figure moves awesomely in this wood, so I'd hate to loose it in dye. Thanks for the words on that Drak. Your burnishing advice ruled on the scrap!

On that note, thanks have to SoundAt11 for the bloodwood (cheers Will man - hopefully you can get something back out of seeing your stock turn into an instrument!) and David Dyke for the maple, ebony and poplar neck woods.

Edited by Prostheta

Cool, I love the shape of the body. And the neck has some nice looking woods too, it looks great with all the different colors. :D You said the body will have a flamed maple top, are you going to stain it or leave it natural? I vote for natural. This should be a cool project, good luck. :D

Verhoevenc: The thin veneers are dyed black poplar and it comes something like 10-12" wide and 3' to 4' long. It's cheaper than ebony and comes in larger (and cheaper) sheets:-) David Dyke supplied those!

Erikbojerik: I'm not planning on compromising on anything. I've planned jigs to help true the carves on the top, and I think I'm going to step back rather than jump in if I'm not sure about anything.

Shredgtrfan: I'm leaving all of the flame maple natural apart from an oiling to keep the wood clean and to pop the flame a bit. Sanding to 1200 and scraping seems to bring out the figure nicely and isn't difficult work.

I'll be sure to photograph every step of the process.

UPDATE: Laid the raw tenon on the bench today and marked out the nut position, bridge position and headstock angle on the side. I chickened out of the scarf joint as I don't have tools which will reliably mitre a 10° angle so I opted for a one-piece. After marking the nut position, I measured the width of the nut (45mm) and marked up the width of the neck at the 12th fret. Drawing these lines all the way up to the back of the tenon, I clamped a straight planed piece of wood to the top of the neck and used the router with a guided follower bit to remove most of the sides of the tenon and finished off by bobbin sanding the headstock to shape. Viola!!

vampyre5_8.jpg

I kind of wish I'd tapered the rock maple from 10mm down to 5mm at the headstock now, but to misphrase something, "there's plenty more wood in the sea".

I think I'll glue up the top this week and do the carving. Since the top is going to be glued straight onto the cut back tenon (only showing on the rear) I can glue it up, true the back, rout the pickup cavities and start working on the violin-style curves on the sides.

Thanks for the positive feedback - this forum should get equal thanks for the project :-)

Wow!

That neck is so beautiful, that's really a perfect job, the colors look so good and they laminating looks fantastic, perfect headstock, no glue lines, totally professional. Sometimes I get bored with mailing out wood all the time, but it really means a lot to actually see it put to use.

Knowing the work I put into each piece, even before the ton of work you did, almost brings a teer to my eye to see it again, a little sentimental I guess. I even recognize the fretboard blank, it's got some monster tap tone and smooth as glass, so I know it's going to be an awesome fingerboard. I'm also pretty psyched to know that same wood that I cut up a few weeks ago is all the way over in England safely, that's just really crazy.

Thanks Will - you've got even more sentiment to pour out once you make with the Padauk!

biggrin.gif

I used to work in a job where I'd advise customers on a product for their home that I'd never see in use, and which is a MAJOR long-term purchase. The few times I ever got to see the product in the home was kind of a bit spooky when you mostly deal with it as words and a sample. Pretty crazy.

Well, you're more than welcome to a testimony quote or whatever and some completion pics for your eBay store. Most sellers of exotics at GOOD prices would tell you where to get off when you request specific sizes! I think the "before and after" would look awesome.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so here's an update. I've held off a bit on this project to get the required skills up to scratch before potentially writing off a nice project. Today I glued up the padauk and maple with dyed black poplar veneer between, ready to joint and blank tomorrow. I've shaped the back of the neck and slotted a padauk fingerboard, ready to install the spoke truss rod. The adjustment hole drops underneath the 24th fret, so I'll need to take care routing a hole for that one tomorrow. The fingerboard has been cut for 26 frets :-D

vampyre5_10_safe.jpg

Larger version

Fretboard ready to install (after a bit of thinning down methinks!)

Edited by Prostheta

Thanks Travis - my wife and me have been watching The Hostel tonight and I'm more interested in how to bind the fretboard. I have some laminated ebony binding from Stewmac that I'm toying with using around the board.

Shame I only have a limited amount of the binding because I bet would look very cool bent around the body also, although I can't see it liking some of the tighter radii curves....