Heat-shrink Tubing

Logical Frank

I just picked some of this up since I was at RadioShack anyway. I assumed it would have instructions but it doesn't and I'm not finding anything w/ Google. So how's it work? This is what I got, by the way:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...tab=accessories

Edited by Logical Frank

Use the tip or shank on your soldering iron and rub it uniformly along the heatshrink and 'hey, presto'.

You can regulate how much heat you use by whether you use the tip (very hot) or further up the shank towards the handle( progressively cooler).

Obviously the soldering iron needs to be plugged in. :D

I hold a lighter under it and move it back-and-forth.

About two inches or so.

You don't want the thing catching fire or melting away from the joint.

Remember, get the tubing on the wire BEFORE you solder any wires.

You feel real stupid when the solder joint is all nice and sparkly, then you reralize that you forgot the tubing.

Like I have done...big dummy!

Good luck.

Use the tip or shank on your soldering iron and rub it uniformly along the heatshrink and 'hey, presto'.

You can regulate how much heat you use by whether you use the tip (very hot) or further up the shank towards the handle( progressively cooler).

Obviously the soldering iron needs to be plugged in.

My dad taught me that one about twenty years ago when I was a teenager.

He's an Electrical Engineer , and hence forth should have a few tricks up his sleeve. :D

I just picked some of this up since I was at RadioShack anyway. I assumed it would have instructions but it doesn't and I'm not finding anything w/ Google. So how's it work? This is what I got, by the way:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...tab=accessories

Heat shrink tubing slides over a soldered wire joint. Slide the tubing on the wire, solder the wire where you want, then slide the tubing over the solder point and heat it till it shrinks.

When you solder a wire on, make sure the heat shrink is far enough away from your solder point because the wire can still get hot enough inside the wire shield that it shrinks the tubing so slide it at least an inch up the wire, away from your solder point before you heat anything.