Help,screwed Up Routing The Pickup Cavaties

bscur

I'm building my first guitar and today I used the templates for the neck and pickup (HB) cavaties. On the last one the router went under the template and I basically routed slightly wider than the pickup ring. Do they make a bigger pickup ring that'll hide my screw up? What a bummer.

Edited by bscur

They don't, but *you* can. Wooden pickup rings can look very classy, and be any size you choose to make 'em.

These are wenge:

Those pickups rings look sweet setch, did you make them? Its a good use for nice wood thats not really big enough for anything else.

Edited by Maiden69

Yep, I made those from offcuts of a wenge neck lamination. The bulk of the ring is flatsawn wenge, with a quartersawn wenge veneer on top which matches the neck and body binding - the flatsawn face looked a bit busy, so I hid it under the veneer. The joint is invisible in the very slight radius on the edges of the ring.

They don't, but *you* can. Wooden pickup rings can look very classy, and be any size you choose to make 'em.

These are wenge:

Would you trust a bloke who endeavours to get all his screws in perfect alignment to build

you a guitar?

+1 for detail

Edited by Maiden69

I have modified some normal black pickup rings before by adding 3 ply b/w/b scratchplate material to the sides to widen them. I wouldnt reccomend it for all guitars but on the one i did it to it looked quite classy. I dont have a better pic but you can just about see the white stripe here on one of my older guitars

7-1.jpg

I have modified some normal black pickup rings before by adding 3 ply b/w/b scratchplate material to the sides to widen them. I wouldnt reccomend it for all guitars but on the one i did it to it looked quite classy. I dont have a better pic but you can just about see the white stripe here on one of my older guitars

mmmmmmm spalted?

Edited by Maiden69