Single Cut Away

Hey guys back from guitar school and still have the guitar building bug. My 1st guitar still isnt finished due to needing a good drill press, but ive got loads of wood and want to crack on with my new design that ive just this second finished.

The specs are:

2 Humbuckers

1 Vol 1 Tone 1 Coil Tap

3 way switch

24 fret

Single Cut away guitar (mix between PRS, Les Paul and Tele)

Standard Trem

Bubinga Body with Flamed Maple Top

Maple Neck with Ebony FB

1254078709_l.jpg

This is the design, i quite like it if you have any suggestions let me know. going to throw together a lil photoshop piccy and post it as soon as im done.

Tom

** or not because my photoshop skills are rubbish!!!

I really like the shape as it can adopt either a carved top or a flat top. Im just going to stick with a flat top at the moment as its only my 2nd guitar and im going to work my way up. But at least this gives me a shape (and templates) which i can then use for a carved top when if i want to do one.

I will have another bash at a mock up but it may still only be a very general idea but i can see it in my mind and looks good.

Ive been told by my parents im not alowed to start till ive done my last one tho :D Ahh well have to save up for parts yet anyway. Im thinking Hipshot trem, Dimarzio EJ custom pups and Grover Locking Tuners.

Also this is going to be my first neck im building too which worries me a little bit but should turn out ok if i just take my time :D

I like it. You have a winning formula with the electrics config and a sound choice of woods. The shape is great. Some binding round the top would look really good if you don't go for the top arm slope-off, and leave it a flat-top.

Headstock shape is great too, you have a good blend of not-quite-prs-or-LP, it's well proportioned and a little different.

Good luck with the build.

I was thinking of doing that makes the build slightly easier, however im thinking of doing it all natural anyway so wouldnt make anydifference to the overall appearance. I have a dodgy PS image sorted but i cant upload it atm will sort it out tomorow.

looks nice, quite a similar concept to my current one, what a PRS singlecut should have looked like :D

how about putting something on the headstock to compliment the contrasting wood on the cutaway....like the new Yamaha or Lag guitars in concept but maybe more curvy. I'm thinking, that bulbous bit on the end of the headstock...maybe have the same curve over that bit

http://www.lag.fr/

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_europe...GXA2/index.html

i was thinking that too but all the shapes i came up with just didnt look right... I might try some larger ones tho similar to the yamaha one.

** OK have definatly decided against it its just making the design too complicated. Too much going on makes it feel un balanced.

• 5 weeks later...

i left my design for a bit and came back to it and noticed all the things wrong with it. mainly the top horn looked like a big spot that was about to burst, when i sorted that out it seemed flabby so i gave it a bit more of a waist and adjusted the bottom horn to complement the top im much happier with this design.

1393511442_l.jpg

im working on a full mock up at the moment. also has anyone got round to testing the Q tuner pickups i have some on order for my RG and im gonna see how they sound if they are good i will use them on this if not Dimarzio EJ customs here i come.

When i get the Q tuners i will record a few clips for everyone.

****EDIT*****

Ok heres the mock up Chrome with Big Smiley face!!! will replace it soon with one with inaly and everything.

PS Mock up :D

T

yea i can see where your coming from didnt think about that... but standard chrome i think will be boring its gonna need something else to it.

Just had a look on the alsa corp website and found their Black chrome effect looks pretty kool. basically black mirror. thinking of using that with 2 silver mirror stripes on it like a Mustang or something, running down the middle... if you have any ideas for the shape let me know - oh and no one suggest stained wood im getting fed up of all the stains im seeing now i want something different and modern.

i left my design for a bit and came back to it and noticed all the things wrong with it. mainly the top horn looked like a big spot that was about to burst, when i sorted that out it seemed flabby so i gave it a bit more of a waist and adjusted the bottom horn to complement the top im much happier with this design.

1393511442_l.jpg

im working on a full mock up at the moment. also has anyone got round to testing the Q tuner pickups i have some on order for my RG and im gonna see how they sound if they are good i will use them on this if not Dimarzio EJ customs here i come.

When i get the Q tuners i will record a few clips for everyone.

****EDIT*****

Ok heres the mock up Chrome with Big Smiley face!!! will replace it soon with one with inaly and everything.

PS Mock up :D

T

Just a noob thinking: the arm contour should be more circular and follow the curve of the body ( no angle when it "joins" the curve)

PS: Maybe I'm not clear in explaining what I'm thinking but English is not my mother's tongue :D

I know what you mean and the arm contour is just a general idea its not exact. i will be playing around with that when i start doing it as the edges are going to be rounded over anyway (like a strat).

Also my Q tuners arrived today i will have them in hopfully this evening and some sound clips as soon as i have time. I will do some clean and some metal sounding distorted stuff.

ok wow. the q tuners sound awsome just wired em up and got my rg all strung up and set up.... and just wow... if u want a really smooth sound that fills out really nicly this is the pickup 4 u!! sounds really natural and 0 hum at all watsoever! and looks awsome too, every1 is gonna take a doiuble look.

will get clips soon having issues with recording at the moment.