Ibanez Refinish And Other Projects

copyofdsc0435jq0.jpg

Ibanez Rg 320 FM AM

I've been working on this one on and off for a month now and I just can't make up my mind. -Click-

First, I hated the orange sides. They just didn't fit well together in my eyes, but it's starting to grow on me.

So I'd like some suggestions for the sides and the burst.

Of course I could go with the obvious blue or black, but that'd be, like I said, obvious. :D

The fabric have been sealed and after a few thin coats of nitro with a brush, sanded smooth to 320.

And yes, I tested and tested again. The lacquers didn't react in any way with each other so I figured nitro would work. And it did.

Before:

-Front-

-Back-

-Headstock-

After:

-Back-

-Another side shot-

-Headstock-

I'm also planning on tinting the lacquer for the back of the neck with a tad o' blue. Should look nice.

As some of you may notice, there are some bumbs here and there (the shiny spots), but after I'm done with those it's time for some paint.

----------

The "other projects" in the title refers to my from-scratch number 2! (don't ask about the first one...)

A PRS style carved top with a chambered mahogany body and flamed birch top.

A flamed black limba neck (from soundat11). Ebony FB with gold MOP japanese maple leaf inlays, curly maple binding and jumbo frets.

The top will be stained (not sure of the color) and finish will be nitro.

Not sure about the hardware either. Color nor kind, but I'm thinking about a TOM or a PRS style wrap around (if I can find one).

No pics of that yet. Been making templates and jigs, joining the wood and whatnot. Pics with progress.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the end results but ACK! HOW COULD YOU RUIN SUCH A NICE TOP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

Nice? Maybe, but it sure was a bore to look at. Not really inspiring in any way.

I want my guitars to look interesting, begging me to pick them up every time I take a glance at them.

It had been hanging on my wall just gathering dust for more than a year, so I thought "Let's make it a little more interesting!" And I hope to succeed in that! :D

Besides, it was a veneer.

Purple, eh? I kinda like that. Anyone with some photoshop skills?

Some progress on the from-scratch. ::Warning:: Huge pics ahead.

copyofimg0024ow5.jpg

One piece quartersawn mahogany body. :D

What do people mean when they say 'ribbon grained'?

The grain looks somewhat similar to Setch's DC custom. -Click-

Anyway... Roughed out with a bandsaw, routed flush with a template. Sides sanded to 150.

Next, I layed out the cavities and hogged out most of the wood on the drill press.

At this point the weight was about 2.4 kg.

img0001tv2.th.jpg

On comes another template:

img0006qf1.th.jpg

With the router guided by the template and about an hour of my time:

img0ehrherh005tv1.th.jpg

1.54 kg. Not bad. :D

And here's the back:

img0ehrherh006et6.th.jpg

Next up is glueing the top and routing it flush with the body. Didn't have time for that though.

img000dfgdfgqr7.th.jpg

Lightly flamed birch damped with water.

I glued up some low-grade pine to use as a practice piece for the carving.

Routed the body shape using the same template and whopped out the good ol' angle grinder.

img0007rq3.th.jpg

This is straight from the grinder. It's a bit uneven and I'm not all that sure about the cut away area.

I might have another go just to get some more practice.

From back

Lower bout, side shot

Lower horn, side shot

Another shot

Moikka, Jester! That's some nice work you've got in progress there. I would be careful about posting images, as there are certain limitations imposed on this board about them.

Where in Finland are you?

Thanks! But, I thought thumbnails were allowed??

I'm located in Järvenpää.

Ah, not too far from Helsinki then :-)

My wife is from Pori, although Nina lived in Heinola for a fair while as a kid. Are you sourcing a lot of your woods from local suppliers? That's a nice piece of Khaya, and Nina would love a birch-topped guitar (considering it grows on trees in Finland - heh!). Never seen birch with a flame to it though. Was it an easy find?

As far as I know, I think thumbs are fine. 640 x 480 is the limit for raw posts though.

So far I've only used woods from the school.

They buy wood in large amounts and there are pretty much always a little more special pieces.

You just gotta find them.

And curly birch is pretty common in the older ones, but the little ones rarely get cut down.

So I can safely say that there is *always* flame in the lower part of birch. It's just really rare to find a good quality piece big enough for a top.

I would have wanted a thicker piece, but my resawing took away more than planned. :D

Apart from that, I got lucky, that piece cost me about 3 euros. Tonally, it's a tad warmer than maple and the color is a little darker.

And that body blank. It would probably cost me around 50 - 70 euros from a local supplier.

Cost me about 10 euros.

Just recently I found a nice piece of flamed beech. I'm gonna use it as a top for some project in the future.

What's Khaya?

Khaya is African mahogany. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please as I think there is more than one "African mahogany".

As far as I know (not much), that's sapele mahogany. I'm gonna check that with my teacher.

He should know.

The wood looks very much like sapele and not Khaya (Sapele is also labeled as African Mahogany, but not concidered to be a "true" mahogany * i think *)

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

If you look at both African Mahogany and Sapele you will see the difference.

That's always been one thing I've never been sure on you know. I have a local Sapele stockist ten minutes walk from my house, so if that's what they're stocking then I think I'll have to pay them a visit....

Look for some quilted sapele, i have a few turning blanks and it looks amazing oiled.

In my opinion, Sapele looks better and sound very similar if not the same when compared to Khaya.

And it's also cheaper :D

Looking good Jester B)

:D

Look for some quilted sapele, i have a few turning blanks and it looks amazing oiled.

In my opinion, Sapele looks better and sound very similar if not the same when compared to Khaya.

And it's also cheaper :D

Looking good Jester B)

Never seen any Khaya in real life but judging from the pics I've seen, Sapele looks alot better.

Thanks for the nice words. You too, NJD. :D