Fake Gibson's On Ebay

biliousfrog

look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-and-black-zebr...1QQcmdZViewItem

I spotted that it was a fake just by looking at the thumbnail, everything about it is wrong...but when I showed my work collegue he said that the guitarist in his band (who works in a music store) had seen one that somebody bought a few weeks ago. The guy wanted to show off his "bargain" ebay purchase from China, a real Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul for under £200! :D

oh dear :D

look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-and-black-zebr...1QQcmdZViewItem

I spotted that it was a fake just by looking at the thumbnail, everything about it is wrong...but when I showed my work collegue he said that the guitarist in his band (who works in a music store) had seen one that somebody bought a few weeks ago. The guy wanted to show off his "bargain" ebay purchase from China, a real Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul for under £200! :D

oh dear :D

The things that i found wrong with the guitar:

Bullseye is poorly done

Incorrect pickups

Knobs

No les paul truss rod cover

Tuners are cheapo's

BOLT ON

No trapazoid inlays

Chinese seller and cheap price

Im probably not even scratching the surface.

So is it any wonder why Gibson and Fender are suing people for copyright infringment

its just a shame that the only people who get nailed are people that make great guitars

that are not copies they just look similar but very diiferant

I've seen hundreds of copies, some good, some very bad but the thing that struck me with this.....what makes this the lowest of the low as far as I'm concerned is the Gibson logo on the headstock. It left me dumbfounded... Because despite it being a chinese seller & despite the terrible bullseye & bolt-on maple neck, the dot inlays & wrong headstock...someone actually thinks that it's close enough to look genuine!...& unfortunately, we live in a very material world where brand names mean more than reliability, workmanship & value...& someone will buy that piece of junk because they've heard of Gibson & not Vintage, Guild, Encore, Tanglewood or some other low-price brand who makes guitars of much higher quality than that!

Well--the made in the U.S.A. and the Gibson logo are just parts of it trying to pass itself off as a genuine Gibson, which is the problem ultimately. I'm not sure how anyone is fooled by these but they are... It seems like I see a post on them every two weeks and half the time it's by someone who's already paid for one.

It's also a shame because a lot of times there's someone on the thread who says they were thinking of buying them knowing they were fake and inferior, which pretty much implies that the Gibson logo means more to them than owning a quality guitar and, as was mentioned, is an attitude that really ends up hurting smaller builders who actually make world-class guitars at prices that are reasonable for the high level of quality.

Edited by Logical Frank

Hey Perry, what's the acutal quality like on them/what are they made of?

As a side note, here's the factory's site:

http://www.tarpitch.com/

Anyone up for a GIBSUN case?

http://www.tarpitch.com/product_info.php?p...b421ffe9ce0755a

(you'd think they'd get the spelling right before embossing it on the case...)

Edited by MidnightLamp

You could spend your money elsewhere and get a better product, but i wont have that Gibson logo will it? Not epiphone quality, but pretty much the same as epiphone was about ten years ago, maybe a little less. The lacquering is great, but the attention to detail is just not there, especially the binding, inlays, paint lines, etc. See the headstock shot here for a binding example:

http://www.tarpitch.com/product_info.php?p...ed9d5366e3953af

Even the backs of the pickups have gibson logos. They sound like crap, and the fretwork is all over the place.

With a little bit more effort, they could REALLY fool some people.

I assumed that the details would not be correct, but if the fretwork is bad, and the guitar wood sucks itself...it defeats the point. I don't know if you all've heard of SX guitars before? I'd hoped they'd be like those ones; really great playing and finished guitars, but with really cheap hardware/pickups/electronics (so it's only a little work to outplay many of their brand name MIA and MIJ guitars). Guess it's just too much to expect of something so cheap and shady looking...