Spray Gun

jtmullet

Hellow I am wanting to uprgade to a spraygun setup I have a compressor and everything but I am needing a new gun I am thinking of maybe a sata minijet but am not sure I am just looking for some advice on the subject I know I want something gravity feed,small and maneuverable and I am not sure about hvlp because I am mainly using it for nitrocellulose clear laquer and maybe sand and sealer and possibly the occasional dye for a sunburst the only thing is I am hesitant because I remeber somebody saying that hvlp doesn't work well for clear.

Hellow I am wanting to uprgade to a spraygun setup I have a compressor and everything but I am needing a new gun I am thinking of maybe a sata minijet but am not sure I am just looking for some advice on the subject I know I want something gravity feed,small and maneuverable and I am not sure about hvlp because I am mainly using it for nitrocellulose clear laquer and maybe sand and sealer and possibly the occasional dye for a sunburst the only thing is I am hesitant because I remeber somebody saying that hvlp doesn't work well for clear.

The Sata mini Jet is a great gun. I have several dedicated to different uses. For me the most important thing is to dedicate a gun to clear and never put any color through the gun. No matter how well you clean the gun at some time a spec of color will come from somewhere and ruin a job if you use the gun for color and clear. I had one gun in the beginning and cant tell you how many times this happend. I also have some Iwat gun adn they are outstanding also . I love the LPH50 as a base gun for small items like guitars. Many people have really good luck with sharp and finex guns also. In the end it is how well you can sand and buff that dictates the quility of finish, the gun just makes it less work.

No matter how well you clean the gun at some time a spec of color will come from somewhere and ruin a job if you use the gun for color and clear.

Will this happen if you spray stain tinted clear? Or just if you spray color coats?

If you spray candy automotive colors especially blue this is the worst. A small speck will come out and the solvents will cause the spec of candy concentrate to get larger and really make a mess. If you take the gun apart including the seals this is not as much of an issue but can still happen.

I can not speak for any other product than auto clear so it may not be as much of an issue. I painted with one gun for many years and got by but I fixed my share of OHOHs.

Even dried clear in the gun can come out and cause headaches so it is good to keep a clean gun.

There is only one reason you can't get by with one HVLP for colour and clear, and that is laziness.

If you can't clean a gun out properly from the colour to clear phase, then you're not cleaning methodically.

It is a matter of wash, spray, wipe and check over optically. Repeat if required.

I've done many a spray finish on Automotive full resto jobs on the one HVLP and cleaned the gun thoroughly between the colour and clear coat cycle. It's not hard , it is nothing more than common sense.

And what's more .......if you're spraying a job in, I dunno, let's say red mica, then you spray your clear coat over that with the same poorly cleaned gun, all you'll get at worst is a small dose of tinted clear.

The problem only occurs to detriment when the colour of your previous job , let's say blue, comes out in your next job, which just might be a white pearl job.

And that can/will and does occur in any gun earmarked only for colours

cheers,

Stu

There is only one reason you can't get by with one HVLP for colour and clear, and that is laziness.

If you can't clean a gun out properly from the colour to clear phase, then you're not cleaning methodically.

It is a matter of wash, spray, wipe and check over optically. Repeat if required.

I've done many a spray finish on Automotive full resto jobs on the one HVLP and cleaned the gun thoroughly between the colour and clear coat cycle. It's not hard , it is nothing more than common sense.

And what's more .......if you're spraying a job in, I dunno, let's say red mica, then you spray your clear coat over that with the same poorly cleaned gun, all you'll get at worst is a small dose of tinted clear.

The problem only occurs to detriment when the colour of your previous job , let's say blue, comes out in your next job, which just might be a white pearl job.

And that can/will and does occur in any gun earmarked only for colours

cheers,

Stu

The brand of gun does make a difference on how easy this can be done. Yes it can and is done with one gun successfully on a daily basis. I would much rather have some old base color come out of the gun while spraying base that dries in 10 min opposed to having color come out in a clearcoat that takes a full day to cure before I can fix. I do not think it is econmical for someone that is spraying 1 guitar a year to have multiple guns. I do think that they should know the possible issues and the importance of cleaning the gun.

I forgot about using a flake base. On another job days or weeks later from somewhere a metal flake will show up like magic to ruin your day!!!

So what ARE some good gun options??? I've been looking around the Grizzly site for a nice gun/gun combo, and there's one's with the paint can on top, ones with it on bottom, different sized cans/guns, different sized nozzles. Can anyone give me a clear cut kinda answer as to what's best for guitars??? (if you wanna see the grizzly one's I'm refering to, just run a search on their site for "gun" and they all come up nicely).

Chris

There was a thread devoted to gun choice and preferred techniques no more than a month ago.

Can't remember what it was called.

Hunt that one out and you're guaranteed to get a view from a few different positions.

I prefer using a HVLP gravity with a 1.3 tip for bigger stuff and a mini version of the same for bursts and touch-ups. It's all a matter of personal taste with guns, though. :D It's not so clear cut when people use different techniques.

The three spray painters I used to work with had all differing preferences from newer HVLP gravity guns to

the old big tip, high volume , high air displacement pressure fed guns. Both good in their own right.

The interesting thing was that they all pulled great results off the gun due to the fact they were comfortable in their choice of guns and altered their technique accordingly.

cheers, Stu