Fretboard Wood

Hi guys,

I am almost finnished my custom guitar i am building for myself. I have a red beach laminated with mahogany in the neck. The body is mahogany and maple cap, semi hollow body. But i am at odds with what type of wood i should use for my fretboard. I work in a joinery factory so getting wood isnt a problem but what is an out standing fretboard wood other then the standard Ebony, rosewood and maple? I want to try something totally different form those three woods.

Hi guys,

I am almost finnished my custom guitar i am building for myself. I have a red beach laminated with mahogany in the neck. The body is mahogany and maple cap, semi hollow body. But i am at odds with what type of wood i should use for my fretboard. I work in a joinery factory so getting wood isnt a problem but what is an out standing fretboard wood other then the standard Ebony, rosewood and maple? I want to try something totally different form those three woods.

A laminate of all 3!

Other than that in Aus a good substitute is Jarrah.

Hi guys,

Zircote,Bocote, Katalox,Pear, Bubinga, Shedua, SatinWood, Bloodwood, Padauk, Snakewood, Pink Ivory, Blackwood.

There are more, but that covers a pretty good variety.

Peace,Rich

FRETBOARDS.jpg

these are cool woods for fretboards, top is zebrawood and the others are wenge

zebrawood is my fav :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/dea...ar/IMG_0970.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

I know zebra is a "rosewood" but I thought it was too soft for a fretboard wood?

Wenge is cool though.

Tulip is interesting too.

Zebrawood(Microberlinia brazzavillensis) is not really a Rosewood(Dalbergia). Zebrawood(Janka hardness=1575) is harder than Sugar Maple(Janka 1450) or even Cocobolo(Janka 1136). Wenge is harder yet. Zebrawoods open grain structure probably makes it seem softer than it really is.

Brazillian Tulipwood (Pau Rosa-in the rosewood fam.) is very nice. Tulipwood(yellow poplar) is a bit soft for a fretboard. Some of these names make it pretty tricky to tell what you are actually buying :D . There are a LOT of great woods out there though :D .

Peace,Rich

Zebrawood makes outstanding fingerboards! It is sort of soft from a fretting perspective, but certainly not softer than a typical rosewood board. Use fretwire with a longer tang.

There are ways to stiffen the exposed surface. The simplest is to use a polymerized blended tung oil because hardens and soaks deep into the grain without surface building. Repeated applications over several days will result in an outstanding durable finish. You can then repeat the application periodically long after the guitar has been completed.

-Doug