Pics Of My First Guitar

bscur

Here are a few pics of my first guitar/ I got a lot of information searching the posts on this site and I appreciate everyone's help. There are plenty of mistakes and problems, but my guitar plays and sounds great. I used a 2" thick mahogany body and put on a 1/4" maple cap. Before I put on the cap, I heavily chambered both sides, so it is fairly light fo being so thick. I painted the back black and did a pretty good faux binding job taping off the sides while I stained the top. I like Godin guitars, so I used a neck off one of those found on ebay and Fralin PAF's. It sounds very much like a Les Paul. Thanks for the advice. I'm planning more guitars now with an eye towards eliminating my mistakes.

1stGuitar001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/bsc...stGuitar003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/bsc...stGuitar006.jpg

I used a bit of zebrawood scrap for the control plate, any suggestions on eliminating tear-out on the ferrules?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/bsc...stGuitar007.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

i really find the best and safest way of avoiding tearout and other dangers, is to do all the drilling before finishing (exept for tuning key screws/truss rod screws/strap buttons) the bridge you would screw on last, but if you do mark everything out in your placements you can drill them out first , then just clean them up a bit;

but if your persistant about drilling after the finish; i second the 'clamp wood on', or i would use a forstner bit and drill the one side till the center point gets thru; then flipping it over and cut it out by lining the points up; a lil tricky; but i do it when i install new control knobs in a finished body, with no problems yet

****knockin on wood

I drilled my ferrules right along with the rest of the holes and routes. I drilled the skinny chamber from the top down, flipped the guitar over, and kinda just... eyeballed :D the larger holes for the back.

It wasn't perfect, and I still had a few chips, but I filled 'em in with putty and they're fine now.

I never even thought of drilling into another piece of wood, though, but that's a great idea! :D

I see the bridge isn't recessed. Is that the way you wanted it? The recessed bridge is a really neat feature on the Godin LG/LGX.

Very nice work - I like the faux binding. For the ferrule holes chipping, as someone else mentioned, clamp the piece to another piece of wood, then drill. Its the same as for sawing. The backing piece holds the fibers so that they don't chip or tear out.

:D

I'm actually using P90's but the general concept, mahogany, blue maple top, single cut, chambered, 3-a-side head, Godin inspired thingy is quite similar. clicky

Did the ferrules splinter when you inserted them rather then when you drilled the holes?....I think that we're all thinking that it was the drilling that did it but I had the same thing happen on another guitar when I put the ferrules in.

That's caused by the paint in the holes making the hole smaller. When the ferrules are forced in they force the wood open & crack the paint. A solution is to drill the holes after, cover the holes during painting or use a file or sandpaper to remove the paint. If the ferrules are loose, use some super glue to secure them.

I can't blame it on paint. The tearouts happened when I drilled (pre paint). I need a drill press to get them going through straight. I ended up with nicely alligned holes on top and a poor looking top. I'm thinking of a P90 follow up. What brand of P90's are good? I had a Godin LGSP90 once, but the shorter scale didn't work for me.

I can't really suggest a particular brand of P90's, I think that it depends on your needs as with any pickup. I just went through harmony central's reviews & looked at all the ones that I could get...it came down to Lace, Bare knuckle or Dimarzio. I ended up with the Lace ones because I have a strat set that I'm very happy with & they were the cheapest :D I tend to play my guitars into the PC a lot & my Strat with Lace's is completely silent even when sitting directly in front of my monitor.....I doubt that any traditional single coils can boast that!

I believe that Dimarzio have a replacement policy so that you can try out their pickups....they have several P90 models so maybe go for those?