Super Distortion In The Neck

echoes

IF you're looking for even a little clean, there's gotta be any number of better choices than a Super Distortion. As for what it'll sound like, alarmingly similar to the way it sounds in the bridge, but darker/muddier (you decide which - one man's poison, and all that) and somewhat hotter - not my idea of a good time, but to each his own.

Not a bad choice its basically a single coil replacement.

If you realy want sonthing that'll cover all ground try somthing from bare knuckle pickups.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

Check the forum listen to the samples...

somthing like the Nailbomb set covers both distorted and clean brilliantly (Bit high output for me but...)

I've used hotter pickups than the super distortion in the neck before with good results. You may or may not have to use your volume control to clean up the pickup to get ultra clean sounds depending on your amp and amp settings(but who really likes sterile no-tone sounds anyway?). FIT A COIL TAP! it'll let you get lower output AND higher output pickups do a much better single coil impression than lower output ones.

I know its not quite 'true' single coil tone but the fact that a 14kohm humbucker will tap to a 7kohm single rather than say an 8kohm pickup will tap to a 4kohm single (far to small IMHO).

Of course the magnetic field generated by a humbucker is very differant from a single coil (single coils actually generally generate a more focused and slightly stronger magnetic field using the same magnetic material).

Yes the pot value will be differant but that's really a minor factor (infact throughout the history of electric guitar 500kohm pots have been useded on singles and 250kohm's on humbuckers...and lets not forget gibson used 300kohm and 100kohm pots on several guitars too!)

:D sorry for the thread Hijack!

"Why on Earth does all this Bareknuckle shill keep coming up once every few months?"

Cause if your baced in the UK they are only ~£20 more expensive than generic factory wound ones...

When the Dollar stabalises at a more sensible value believe me they'll start to look much more attractive.

Honestly, there's enough "boutique" pickup winders here in the US that charge insane prices for their plastic and wire, we certainly don't need another one coming in with grandiose terms like scatterwinding and magnet-seasoning. It's all BS once you add the drums, anyhow.

Bill Lawrence, Larry DiMarzio, and Seymour Duncan are my kind of guys. Yeah, they're not the cheapest, but the quality is more consistent than the boutiques and the sound can't be matched for another $200.

Honestly, there's enough "boutique" pickup winders here in the US that charge insane prices for their plastic and wire, we certainly don't need another one coming in with grandiose terms like scatterwinding and magnet-seasoning. It's all BS once you add the drums, anyhow.

Bill Lawrence, Larry DiMarzio, and Seymour Duncan are my kind of guys. Yeah, they're not the cheapest, but the quality is more consistent than the boutiques and the sound can't be matched for another $200.

OK I think good pickups are worth it.

When you go and see (insert favourite stadium filling act) do you really think their pickups come straight off the production line? I really doubt it you know.

(with the exchange rate being what it is at the moment perhaps now isn't a good time to be importing things from the UK I'll have to concede that point) :D

as for the 'doesn't make a difference' arguement... Would you build a guitar out of plywood and hand it on using the same line? :D

Any way here in the UK its £140 for SDs or DiMarzio and £180 for BKs so it aint much more.

When you go and see (insert favourite stadium filling act) do you really think their pickups come straight off the production line? I really doubt it you know.

(with the exchange rate being what it is at the moment perhaps now isn't a good time to be importing things from the UK I'll have to concede that point) :D

as for the 'doesn't make a difference' arguement... Would you build a guitar out of plywood and hand it on using the same line? :D

Any way here in the UK its £140 for SDs or DiMarzio and £180 for BKs so it aint much more.

Actually, yeah, most stadium-filling acts ARE using off-the-shelf pickups. Very few artists exist in that realm that really care enough about their tone to make sure that the proper magnet wire was used in a scatterwound pickup with aged Alnico 3 magnets. Eric Johnson cares, but Steve Vai doesn't. Neither are stadium-filling acts anymore, either. Even if there are real working musicians out there (studio slaves) who care, most aren't going to be **** enough to spend money on custom winds. They're going to spend the money on rent!!

140 GBP == $280

180 GBP == $360

That's a HUGE difference--and if you can honestly hear the difference, whatever blows your skirt up is good with me. I'm just not falling for it.

Actually, yeah, most stadium-filling acts ARE using off-the-shelf pickups. Very few artists exist in that realm that really care enough about their tone to make sure that the proper magnet wire was used in a scatterwound pickup with aged Alnico 3 magnets. Eric Johnson cares, but Steve Vai doesn't. Neither are stadium-filling acts anymore, either. Even if there are real working musicians out there (studio slaves) who care, most aren't going to be **** enough to spend money on custom winds. They're going to spend the money on rent!!

140 GBP == $280

180 GBP == $360

That's a HUGE difference--and if you can honestly hear the difference, whatever blows your skirt up is good with me. I'm just not falling for it.

Certainly the exchange rate may make it look terrable but I'm sure there a pickup winders in the US that will wind you a really good set without having to charge sterling.... and as a result not brake your bank....

and yes I can hear the difference...

Just as I can hear the difference between decent wood and ply.

We're going to have to agree to differ on this one...

Edited by The royal consort