New Design

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling he probably used a metal cutoff disc (which is what they come with) instead of the proper wood sanding flapper type of disc (which you have to go buy).

About the body: that is a very very cool carve, kudos on your insight to do something like that. :D

About the body #2: Moser must have lifted that design from someone else, because I stole that same basic design sometime back in the late '80's. I remember my local guitar store had one hanging up in a gold top.

I remember distinctly that it had a 3-coil humbucker in the bridge, I'm almost positive it was a Hamer of some description, but don't remember the exact model.

I made a solid plexiglass body from the template, but never finished it. I was working in a plastics fabrication shop at the time, they had ALL the tooling to handle carving plastic, but long story short, that design goes all the way back to the '80's, and it wasn't Moser.

Great job so far. :D

so i stole it from a thief? hehe. well, nothings really totally original anymore is it. i had thoughts about a single cutaway version of this guitar last night too. maybe that'll be the next one.

it is a wood sanding disk, its just a bit worn out.

today i installed the truss rod and graphite rods and glued the fretboard on, and also did the belly contour. lots of sanding tomorrow me thinks.

oh, and having already almost cut my finger tip off, i know have very little flesh left on the knuckle of my left hand having gotten a little too close to the grinder. o dear. i'll have nothing left by the time i've finished!

Edited by hooglebug

ok, so i won a pair of bare knuckle miracle man pickups on ebay for this guitar, and they have a black cover with chrome pole pieces, so iv decided to do a prs chrome/gold type thing, but with black/chrome hardware.

so now the question is, what colour to stain the top that will go well with the hardware? and also, natural flame maple neck, or coloured to match the top?

opinions? suggestions?

see-through black would be my first choice with the flame being black/grey....I'd also match the neck.

I was looking at sperzel's yesterday & didn't realise that you can mix & match the colours of the parts, black & chrome tuners would look really nice with a thru-black finish. Check these out: http://www.tkinstruments.com/id99.htm

see-through black would be my first choice with the flame being black/grey....I'd also match the neck.

I was looking at sperzel's yesterday & didn't realise that you can mix & match the colours of the parts, black & chrome tuners would look really nice with a thru-black finish. Check these out: http://www.tkinstruments.com/id99.htm

See through black sounds like a good idea.

Those tuners are way cool! Opens up new possiabilties. Any idea how they are colored? Is that from the facroty or an aftermarket thing?

Those tuners are way cool! Opens up new possiabilties. Any idea how they are colored? Is that from the facroty or an aftermarket thing?

I think its an electroplated finnish at the factory. I think I've seen some of the colours elsewhere (though I think that site is mixing and matching bits to make all the colour combinations).

:D darn I was going to say make it black but everyone else already has! Personally I think I'd not stain the neck but that's just me :D

A chrome bridge with back saddles would look nice IMHO if you can get the bits. Q parts do knobs that have chrome on the knurled bit and black on the top dome, damn expensive though.

I was thinking of those chrome knobs with the black rubber-ring grips...not sure who makes them or where I've seen them but they'd go well on it.

....& maybe not on this one but...check out the 11th pic down:

http://www.axesrus.com/axemachine.htm

....grinning skull machineheads!!! how cool are they?!?!...actually don't answer that.

ok, so i know everyone said black but, well...thats boring and i want to do something different. also, as iv never done a stained flame top before, i want to play and do something cool. and to that end, i was messing around with some stains today, and inadvertanly came up with the one im going to do it.

its the one on the left, and it looks like a draker version of the prs abalone stain. you cant really see it in this picture, and it doesnt have any top coat on it so it will pop out even more, but there are subtle greens and yellows in there too.

Pb271254.jpg

i rough shaped the neck today. and the pickups came today too, but, instead of being black with chrome/nickel pole pieces, as the bareknuckle website shows them, they're all black. so iv ordered some nickel pole pieces.

iv rough shaped the headstock too. it also has a wave to echo the body, with the 3rd string going underneath the wave - acting as a string tree. hopefully this will work.

anyway, heres some crappy camera phone pics.

061201_000626.jpg

body close up (it will have chrome pu surrounds)

headstock

headstock showing wave

12th fret inlay - this is done with flash pearl and blue pearl mica flakes mixed with glue

iv stained the neck. it doesnt look so great in this picture - its missing all the subtle yellows greens and reds that are in it, and wet (as it will look when finished) it looks pretty damn sexy

061206_002049.jpg

the only problem is the clean edge on the wave - a lot of stain has seeped under the tape and its a bugger to get off. any tips?

iv stained the neck. it doesnt look so great in this picture - its missing all the subtle yellows greens and reds that are in it, and wet (as it will look when finished) it looks pretty damn sexy

061206_002049.jpg

the only problem is the clean edge on the wave - a lot of stain has seeped under the tape and its a bugger to get off. any tips?

that blue is SO KICKASS. i'm loving this guitar... sorry i don't have any advice, i'm but a lowly newbie