New Design

i got bored so i designed something.

061102_002812.jpg

i have no money right now so it wont get started on for a while if ever, but i just wanted to see what people thought about it.

it will probably get two hbs, as im going to sell it if it gets made, and i figure two hbs are more popular than p90/hb combo. it would have a prs-like carve on the top, apart from the curly thing going down the body, which is like a raised wave, with a clean natural edge on the inside and sloping down to the edge on the outside. i cant really explain it right, but here's where i stole the idea from - link

so basically its a cross between that guitar and a prs. any thoughts? comments and critiscisms welcome

Edited by hooglebug

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, i love the design!

I don't know chris, call me sheltered, but I'd say Michael Vangerov is about as "not so famous" as they get. He's obviously having some sort of midlife crisis in which he wishes he were slash, but doesn't have the forsight(or ability?) to grow his hair out and become massively addicted to any mind altering substance he can get his hands on.

Are you trying something kinda like this moser? is so than its going to be deadly

http://www.nealmoser.com/mvsigmodel.htm

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Yeah, that'd be the guitar.... but who is he then?!

Chris

thats Neal Moser he built the thing and its a Michael Vangerov Signature Model

I still think that hooglebug should give it a try since his body design is not dead on the same, I think it will be a cool spin off

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

To be honest hooglebug I like the original but I prefer your sketch. Turning that lower plateau into a carved area is going to be a nightmare but hey! That’s why we do this right :D ?

I notice that on the original, the swoosh thing is an elaborate tailpiece type section for the strings to go through. Are you going with this concept on your design too?

I also feel that a 3-a-side headstock would look nicer but I’m bias toward them anyway.

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress in this; coinage permitting!!

P.S. looking at the bottom bit of your 'swoosh' i feel it should follow the shape of the body more - seems to point back in to the bridge area too sharply in my eyes

Edited by NJD

well, thanks for the suggestions and comments guys. and yes, if you did read my original post i did say that i stole the wave/swoosh thing from that guitar. but hey, i bet we've all just looked at pictures and not bothered reading the rest. i know i have.

i dont know about the headstock. i think if its a bolt on i'll go with that, but if its a set neck then i'll do a three a side thing or something. i'll keep tweeking and see what happens.

NJD - i dont think i would do that tailpiece thing even if it were a non-vib bridge. i dont know why, it just doesnt grab me. and yes, that top would probably be a bugger to do - and probably not the smartest thing to try for your first carve top, but i'll never know if i dont try it i suppose.

theres a nice bit of maple on ebay, but my credit card has no money on it so i cant get it. grrr. i'll have o wait a while till i can pay some off.

Reading the original post is cool.

HAHA Good point :D

but i've never done a carved top....

please....sniff....i want to....

You know I think Neal shows somewhere how he did that and the steps it took

I'll ask him for ya and look around

Metal Matt, I wasn't asking who Neal Moser is.... I was asking who the devil's the guy who's signature model it is, and does he actually deserve a signature model lol.

Chris

I was not sure so i answered with both names I knew of B) Neal Moser and Michael Vangerov

thanks for that. hmm, so it looks as though both the raised and lower bits of the top are flat on that one. (unless im not seeing it right - and i didnt read it so i might have missed something - doh!) and im going for the carved top prs type thing. seems i'll have my work cut out for me! if it ever happens that is

I've been thinking.....it's quite an unusual feeling.

Anyway, that raised swirly bit.....would be a nice touch on a bass if reversed. The raised area could become a thumb rest all along the string path & the lower section would allow plenty of slap n' tap room. My mate often complains that certain bass's don't have the pickups in a comfortable postion for resting the thumb on or that there's not enough room to pluck the top strings....seems like a good solution, what does anyone else think?

IMO the greatest difficulty you will face above doing a normal carved top is getting your tools into the corner between the inner face of the raised swirl and carved top to get a clean transition with a sharp angle.

I think what I’d do is a LOT of careful planning followed by routing that swirl completely to the depth it meets the highest point of the curve then routing depths in stages where the carve changes height along the plane of the inner face of the swirl, and then working on the transition between those stages by hand so you’re working between 2 levels and can sight the transition between them.

(If the above doesn’t make sense ask me to rephrase it :D )

On my carved top guitar, I’m not expecting to have to take my chisels out of my tool drawers, but it looks to be a probability for you what with inner angles.

My hat comes off to you for attempting this one but it will have some major wow factor if you pull it off :D

Edited by NJD