Dimarzio Humbucker Route

hello folks...I'm getting ready to build an ibanez body. I want to route a Rg direct mount type hum without the ring of course. You see this route on their prestige RG's. My dilemma is the corners on this route is pretty tight..I'd guess at 3/16's. What bit could I use to accomplish this??? To my knowledge the smallest bit is 1/4 inch

and that's without a bearing. It would be nice to make a template and use a bearing bit if possible. Any ideas or input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Stew-mac sells a bit with a bearing that will route the corners but Brian's idea will work just fine.

Also, you could use a 1/4" bit without a bearing and let the shaft ride along the template without a bearing. Just get a bit that has a 1/4" shaft.

Then the shaft and tip will have the same diameter...sounds dirty I know :D

I only use the 1/4" bit for my corners though and then switch to a 1/2" bit for the rest.

dunno where you get the idea that 1/4 inch is the smallest size bit (shaft maybe) but i know you can get a 1/16 inch bit, i even have one!!

i use it to make grooves for slot car racing tracks in MDF (another one of my hobbies that annoys my wife!!)

cheers

darren

Thanks for the input folks! I think I could live with 1/4 corners. I was'nt sure about running the 1/4 shaft along the template. What is the safe rule for extending the shaft from the collet if need be? If I use plexi will there be any prob with the shaft riding on it. I'll have to shim the template up 5/8" for my 1st pass since my cutting lenght is 1" on the bit. In the long run I think this will be easier than running rails, besides that I'll have a template to use in the future.

Thanks again

Tom

I generally use the plexi templates as a master to make plywood or MDF templates with.

That way I'm not as concerned about damaging the plexi master.

As a bonus while making the plywood/MDF template, you get a little practice at routing.

As for how far to extend the shaft out of the collet, I'd personally leave at least 3/4" still in the collet to feel safe.