Dremel Flex Shaft

unclej

i've started doing some stone and bone carving and thought i'd invest in a flex shaft for my dremel so i checked out ebay and found one that i got for about $11. it said that it went on a dremel tool but...the female threads on the shaft are a finner thread than the male threads on the dremel..the shaft itself has a square end and looking into the barrell of the dremel i don't see a square receiver.

did i get bonned or is there an adapter that is available to make the conversion. i've searched the dremel sites and can't find anything like that.

thanks

unclej

I think there is supposed to be a "drive nut" included. Its a cap with a square hole that fits on the end of your dremel and accepts the square drive shaft of your flex shaft. I've used similar for my spin saw, well, before I wrecked it :D (rectum? damn near killed 'em!), and it featured a special square-holed collet that fit into the chuck of the drive unit.

As far as threads matching up you have to be careful with these accessories. Things like the little router table, plunge router attachment, drill press attachment AND flex shaft only work with a few different Dremel models. Make sure you know what number/model of dremel these attachments are made for before you buy.

Found this unclej.

Edited by Southpa

thanks southpa..that's the info i needed. looks like the square holed nut wasn't included and the threads are definitely wrong but santa's supposed to bring me a brand new one so maybel it'll fit. might even be able to find a brass fitting at the hardware store that will work.

anyway, thanks again.

Be careful about how long you use the flexshaft in one sitting. They tend to put a lot of extra stress on dremels. I would know...I had a dremel actually light on fire while I was carving a top with a flex shaft. :D

I used to used those flex shafts alot for metal working, though oneday i was using it for a fairly long time and the casing on the dremel started to melt, seconds later the motor blew.

Not the safest tools i guess.

thanks for the heads up. i was actually having second thoughts about using it anyway. it feels a little cumbersom just holding it and i reallly don't have a problem using the dremel by itself. i just felt like i really, really needed a new toy. :D

anybody want to buy a cheap flex shaft?

You've just got a non official dremel shaft that's all. The dremel collar should fit the threads on the flex shaft if it's original dremel (All my old fitting still work on my new dremel, so I know they haven't changed it).

As for the square shaft, if I recall, you just put the square shaft in the collect and tighten the heck out of it.

Cheers,

Nish

There's a big difference between grinding a piece of jewelery every couple of minutes and hogging out mahogany with a coarse burr for a good half an hour non-stop. Also, it seems like a lot of jewelers(at least the ones I'm aware of) use foredom flex shaft tools, which are much, much more robust than a flex shaft and a dremel.

peace,

russ

I think i still have a square shaft collet kicking around if you want it, my dremel died and i bought a cheap replacement one from Princess auto (works better than the dremel might I add)

thanks..i appreciate the offer but i took another look at the flex shaft yesterday and the square drive shaft is recessed so far into the housing that i don't think that i could tighten it. i might try to rig up some sort of adapter but i've kinda lost interest in the whole thing. and like i said, i've used just the dremel for so long now that i'm pretty adept at it. i was probably just trying to satisfy my ebay jones when i bought the damned thing in the first place. :D

I've been using my cordless "Mini-mite" for quite some time. I've been trying to hunt down a spare battery for it and I would expect to pay more than the whole unit is worth if I did find one (my rant about batteries for cordless tools is somewhere in this forum, :D ) But so far I've been getting a good couple hours use out of the battery before it needs charging.