Latest Project

RGman

Well i just completed #2 last week, so i decided i could start my LP jr i have been waiting to build.

Some specs:

Elm Body

Beech or maple neck (not decided yet)

EMG passive HB

Wilkinson wraparound bridge or gotoh TOM and tailpiece

grover tuners, or cheaper gotoh's

figured blackwood fb, or maybe ebony.

The body

100_0674.jpg

So far all i have done is route the neck pocket, drill some holes for the potentiometers and do some rough sanding on the sides. At the moment it looks ok, its a fairly thin body, being about 37 mm or so thick.

I also thought about rounding the back edges of the body with the router im not too sure what it would look like, also i could only have a small rounded edge as the neck pocket is fairly deep and the bearing wouldn't sit on the edge for a larger rounding, although i may find a way around that.

Close Up of neck pocket

If you have any suggestions on what to do with the rounding, feel free to share :D

So far i don't know whether to do a slightly carved top or to just leave it flat and bind the edges, so far i think i might just bind the top and leave it flat.

The everything else

So far i havn't decided between beech and maple, i have some nice beech with some nice spotted figure (?)

I purchased some fiddleback Aussie Blackwood for my fretboard, although i may just use ebony or indian rosewood instead.

http://i24.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/cd/63/78_1.JPG

Thats all for now, as soon as i do something else, expect some more images!

Maybe you'll plan out the rounding over earlier in the build next time? :D I would have made sooo many mistakes if I hadn't have had so many delays with hardware being delivered. Thankfully I've had lots of time to figure out that rounding over should be done before neck pockets, jack sockets & belly/arm contours.

I also find it odd that you've routed the neck pocket but not made the neck yet...isn't it easier to make a pocket to fit the neck?...dunno, I'm quite new to this too but it seems the norm to make the neck first.

The fingerboard wood looks nice but it might look a little too fancy depending on the look you're after.

I'm not picking holes, just think that you should slow down a bit & decide on everything that you're doing before you work yourself into a corner.

Maybe you'll plan out the rounding over earlier in the build next time? :D I would have made sooo many mistakes if I hadn't have had so many delays with hardware being delivered. Thankfully I've had lots of time to figure out that rounding over should be done before neck pockets, jack sockets & belly/arm contours.

I also find it odd that you've routed the neck pocket but not made the neck yet...isn't it easier to make a pocket to fit the neck?...dunno, I'm quite new to this too but it seems the norm to make the neck first.

The fingerboard wood looks nice but it might look a little too fancy depending on the look you're after.

I'm not picking holes, just think that you should slow down a bit & decide on everything that you're doing before you work yourself into a corner.

I can see where you are coming from with the neck pocket, i usually make the neck first, but i have made the neck pocket template from the neck template, so it should fit. (theoretically :D )

I think your right about the fb wood, i think it will look better with rosewood or ebony personally.

The rounding was done, and ended up looking great!

BUT, while routing my neck my routers depth stop died so i will have to wait a little while until i either repair or buy a new one, but luckily i got most of it done, and the neck pocket is fine!

Thanks for the tips biliousfrog, i think its a good idea to slow down and work out exactly what i want, like you said.

I can see where you are coming from with the neck pocket, i usually make the neck first, but i have made the neck pocket template from the neck template, so it should fit. (theoretically :D )

I think your right about the fb wood, i think it will look better with rosewood or ebony personally.

The rounding was done, and ended up looking great!

BUT, while routing my neck my routers depth stop died so i will have to wait a little while until i either repair or buy a new one, but luckily i got most of it done, and the neck pocket is fine!

Thanks for the tips biliousfrog, i think its a good idea to slow down and work out exactly what i want, like you said.

The Blackwood might not be hard wearing enougth for a fretboard. Its pretty similar to mahogany in that regard and you don't see that being used. I love Jr`s ,I have made two , one fancy and one standard ie basic. The basic finish works better for juniors in my opinion but in the end its your guitar so do what you want...Kev

I've been rounding as one of the last steps, just seemed like more of a finish thing. I've used a roller attachment that came with the router --the roller rig attaches to the router bass and rides along the side of the guitar. I'm not limited to only bits with bearings, and I can choose how deep I want to go with the rolled edge. Also, the wheel on the attachment is pretty large, so I have more choice of where it rides on the guitar.

The depth stop on my router fell out a while ago...it's around here somewhere... :D In the meantime, I've got an Allen wrench in the there. Fits better than the depth spot and doesn't slip and doesn't wiggle about like the one that came with.

I've been rounding as one of the last steps, just seemed like more of a finish thing. I've used a roller attachment that came with the router --the roller rig attaches to the router bass and rides along the side of the guitar. I'm not limited to only bits with bearings, and I can choose how deep I want to go with the rolled edge. Also, the wheel on the attachment is pretty large, so I have more choice of where it rides on the guitar.

The depth stop on my router fell out a while ago...it's around here somewhere... :D In the meantime, I've got an Allen wrench in the there. Fits better than the depth spot and doesn't slip and doesn't wiggle about like the one that came with.

Yeah, my router used a bolt and ball bearing to lock its position (it had a round plastic case over a bolt), the thread got melted so i managed to replace it with a huge bolt, bent into U shape which actually works better than the original, though not as confortable. I guess im just glad i got it working!

The Blackwood might not be hard wearing enougth for a fretboard. Its pretty similar to mahogany in that regard and you don't see that being used. I love Jr`s ,I have made two , one fancy and one standard ie basic. The basic finish works better for juniors in my opinion but in the end its your guitar so do what you want...Kev

Yeah, i think i will go with either Indian Rosewood, or Ebony.

I have played a re issue (?) epiphone jr, as soon as i started playing i was in love, so i guess this is why im making one!

I know that amber is the most common finish of the 57-59 jr's, but im not sure what that would look like with the elm, i guess i will have to test it out on some scrap.

If not amber, i will do either a light grey or white with white or black binding.

What do you mean by amber? is it TV yallow?

As you haven't built the neck yet , have you considered extending the neck tenon into the body a bit further. I take it you are just fitting one pup.

All white with black binding and a black emg pup and black bridge, black pick guard would look cool ,kinda like a Hives guitar. Add a ebony fret board et voila.

I can't picture any other way binding would look good on a Jr double cut though.

It would look better with a black dogear P90.If you need a hot one thay are around. You can even get P90 that are in fact humbucking side by side coils, not the stacked kind.

As you haven't built the neck yet , have you considered extending the neck tenon into the body a bit further. I take it you are just fitting one pup.

All white with black binding and a black emg pup and black bridge, black pick guard would look cool ,kinda like a Hives guitar. Add a ebony fret board et voila.

I can't picture any other way binding would look good on a Jr double cut though.

It would look better with a black dogear P90.If you need a hot one thay are around. You can even get P90 that are in fact humbucking side by side coils, not the stacked kind.

Yeah, i have an emg p90, its not dogear covered though, any ideas where to get some decent de'd p90's?

Basically i want a light color with all black hardware, its the way i like things!

Yeah, i have an emg p90, its not dogear covered though, any ideas where to get some decent de'd p90's?

Basically i want a light color with all black hardware, its the way i like things!

Yeah I have two makes in different juniors, Lollar

and Vintage Vibe

Both are very good ,the Lollars (alnico)are sweet sounding having a standard output (ie normal) and the the Vintage vibe P90's are slightly overwound ,however the VV's have the option of fitting ceramic or alnico magnets.I have the ceramics in mine and the pup in this configuration is better for heavier styles of music.

My preferance is the Lollars as I play 60's 70's style rock but my son prefers the VV as he is into more punk style music. I should add that we have not tried the VV with the alnico magnet yet

So if you want classic tone go for the Lollar

If you want it to roar fit the VV with ceramic mag.

PS the VV is electricaly less noisy due to its shielded coil.

:D

Thanks for the help thirdstone!

I have decided on using my beech neck for another project and going with a maple neck. I will also be purchasing some sheets of veneer (maybe bubinga or a darker wood?) for the headstock (back and front) and also the heel of the neck.

Though i may not use them and just paint the neck aswell as the guitar, depends... i may just keep the whole thing natural, i will have a big think and maybe do some mock-ups.

I should have some update pictures tomorrow before i go away for a week on holidays.

No Worries mate I notice that you are in Australia like me. Thouse pup's can be ordered in from the states and landed for less than a bought SD or Gibson P90.

maple neck will be brighter sounding than a mahogany neck.

I have a sort of les paul with a maple neck set in a mahogany / maple cap body.The neck sound is good as the maple neck brightens up the normaly slightly muddy sounding LP neck pup however I am not sure I like the bridge as its quite harsh sort of brittle sounding. Pup's are fralin vintage spec humbuckers.I put this down to the Neck as the pup's are voiced for a mahogany neck. the same might happen on a Jr.

just something to consider when designing the guitar.