Looking For Opinions

Jester

Gather around all of you, who speak their mind...

Here it is! My first ever full song recording! -Click-

It's a song by 'Mercyful Fate' called 'The banshee'. Bass and vocals are not recorded yet, because some people are being lazy... :D .

I'm looking for opinions about the sound quality, drums, mixing whatever. I know there are some mistakes (mostly rhytmn) in my playing, but thats not the issue here.

Thanks!

Sounds pretty good, except, i dunno what it is but the guitar(s) seems a bit...quiet. Are there two guitarists in the band or just one? If there is two i usually pan one to the left and one to the right. Not hard left/right, but about 75% of the way. If you only have one guitar i usually copy the track and pan it the same as two guitars, but thats just me. Other than that sounds good.

Sounds ok...

Really needs the vocals to keep you interested...

For me there is just too much of the same tone. The harmony guitars are neat and well played but all sound the same and so you don't hear them as distinct intstruments...it is more like a guitar orchestra and that can take the edge off of things, just like anything by the 101 strings... :D

For harmony parts check out bands like 'thin lizzy' or 'Iron Maiden' that used different guitars and different players...even 'boston' used variations in tone to take them in and out of the wall to wall guitar sound...

Personally, I like to hear some cleanish sounds, or at least significant tone variations in different parts or layers of songs....it all sounds a little flat and one dimensional for my tastes...

Well played though and the parts do all fit together well...I like the fact that the solo is short and to the point but you will need some special lyrics to make this something I'd want to hear again and again...

I like to hear little variations, imperfections and details that will keep me listening over and over...so far, for me at least, that is what is missing...after the first minute I know what is coming, more of the same!!!

my 2c... pete...

Oh...BTW...I hope to get into a bit of recording myself in the near future, it will be interesting to get the same kind of feedback...it is a very difficult thing to write, arrange and play a good tune and you have done it well... Speaking of feedback, The sustainer guitar of mine offers some interesting potentials for harmony parts, especially with the harmonic mode, and for anthemic stuff like this, you could hold a note forever... p

it is a very difficult thing to write, arrange and play a good tune and you have done it well...

Read the opening post again. Not my song. (I wish) :D

The song will hopefully have some vocals in the near future, as well as bass.

EDIT: Well, looks like I have some learning to do. I thought it sounded pretty good through my speakers.

Gotta buy some good headphones...

Btw, how's the drums? Sound anywhere even remotely decent?

Edited by Jester

Read the opening post again. Not my song.

Oooop's... :D ...don't know the song myself, for all I know you may have done it better :D I thought you were "merciful fate"...I was going to give you kudos for the band name...do'h

Actually, I did listen a couple of times...I was quite impressed by the way you built the track up and how well the drums fitted in...could do with a final mix, I'd like to hear more of the drums...but the I want to hear the vocals and bass too...

I would be interested in how you made the track. Did you record a guide track to play with...did the drums come early or late in the whole thing?

Certainly it is above average, but still I am searching for more space to allow more impact...more tonal variation, more dynamics...but then what I want to hear is perhaps not what anyone else wan't and you would be unlikely to hear it on the radio...

Good job... pete

Here is an updated version. -Click- Now with bass!

I messed around with panning and compression. I think it sounds somewhat better.

I would be interested in how you made the track. Did you record a guide track to play with...did the drums come early or late in the whole thing?

The drums were the first track in the mix. They were made using a program called Beatcraft (free), using stock samples.

Comments, suggestions??

Much, much better. It sounds more full compared to the first one, the bass and panning both the guitars makes it sound like a different track completely.

I've used beatcraft before, its alright, but nothing beats the sound of a real drummer sweating it up. Will there be vocals at any point? Also what recording program and equipment do you use?

I like it. I'm also interested in what software, processing, guitars, etc you used. It sounds like good old Mercyful Fate to me. I had 'Don't Break the Oath' and 'Melissa' on vinyl back in the day. Do you have a singer who can shriek like the King? oh, by the way, the only thing I would do to the mix so far is to bring up the level of the bass drum, if possible. Small quibble, though.

Edited by palecriminal

Thanks! Glad to hear I improved it instead of making it worse. :D

Equipment used:

Ibanez 2075 prestige (stock pickups) ---> Demonizer full tube preamp ---> to the soundcard (some el cheapo)

I used Adobe audition to record and mix the whole shebang. Reverbs and EQ too.

My friend recorded the bass straight to soundcard. I EQ'd the hell out of it, but it still sounds a bit... weak.

It will have vocals in a week or so. The singer has his own style.

Not as high pitched as King's but still pretty good.

I'll let you know.