Problem With Fretted-> Fretless Conversion

disk11

I acquired a Yamaha ERB070P2 bass for free that already had the frets pulled out, and decided to turn it into a real fretless.

However, when I was messing around with it, I noticed that on the low frets, ie 1st and 2nd, that the string was touching the fretboard in places other than where my finger was depressed. When I checked the curve, I noticed it is curved the opposite way it should be, as there is a high point in the middle and it curves down from there.

My question is should I give up on the project or attempt to curve the fretboard the proper way? I could care less if I ruined the bass.

Your trussrod need adjustment. Do a search for trussrod adjustment. That should cover your problem.

hmmm well i would asume that it would be a radius'd fretboard....soooo there should be a high point the the center but not to the point where it would touch the string....you might want to raise/lower the saddles on the bridge to get the right string height.

pictures might help a bit.

I had assumed the peak of the curve should be by the head. I guess I was wrong then.

Also, what should I post pictures of?

I was reading this to figure out what to do with the truss rod: http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001...neimbody1.shtml

When I held the 14th fret to check the clearance at the 6th fret, there is some clearance. So do I need to turn the truss rod counterclockwise to add more of a bow?

Sounds like a trussrod issue. It really depends on the guitar which way to turn, usually I figure it out by trial and error every time, and Ive seen guitars that go both ways.

Basically, looking down at the fretboard,(as if its on the floor), you want the bow to be towards the floor. (Dont adjust it this way, I'm just trying to explain it).

If the rod is the single action type, loosening the nut will allow the FB to bend up (concave) while tightening will allow the FB to bend down (convex).

Make sure your strings are at normal tuning when adjusting the trussrod.