Little Dents

Marco

Hello everybody,

I'd like to fix some little dents on my strat's neck.

Since they're not too deep, is there a way to build up some finishing material to level them up?

Something like a filler but transparent, in order not to strip the neck to bare wood.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Ciao.

Marco

Apologies - yes, superglue. Drop filling dents with CA works on gloss finishes as it polishes up a treat. It really depends on what finish the neck has. I'm sure somebody more technically knowledgable than me can compare the compatibility issues with your specific finish.

Is the wood itself dented, or just the finish? Are there any cracks or chips? These can all affect the results.

I would suspect that the edge cracks in the lacquer may show on a drop fill. I would try a drip of acetone to reflow the sharp edge and a CA drop fill.

Can anyone corroborate my thinking on this one? Sorry to be so non-committal to a plan of action Marco but I'm still learning myself in a lot of areas and it would be nice if I was thinking correctly. I wouldn't want to give you bad advice :-D

To expand the compressed wood fibres underneath? I did that on some Koa I dented on a headplate and it works sweetly! COnsidering pushing out the dents on my natural mahogany Explorer that way.

Good call.

Would the wood around the dent push the finish away slightly or is this a non-issue on "non-dented" wood?