Blemish Area At Mf

westhemann

any of you guys seen this?i always spend some cash at the end of the year just before i get my christmas bonus from work...kind of a slap on my own back for putting up with the garbage the world throws at me during the year..

i happened on the scratch and dent area at musicians friend...and it has really grown since the last time i was there...i picked up an ltd kh602(never seen one less than $1000 before) for $726...and a bc rich neck through jr vee for $554...(usually around $800)

the kh i have always wanted ever since kirk hammett first signed onto the model in 89?...90?...my buddy used to have one on layaway but never got it out...back then there was no such thing as ltd...it was a custom shopped sig model...all made in japan.they were insanely expensive,but much nicer than any ltd i have ever seen..i think they ran around $3500?

those were the maple neck through model with the alder wings...like that crappy reliced one they try to sell now..but not reliced.you can't get those really nice ones anymore.

but i am excited about this one...i hope it is nice...if it isn't i will rework it the best i can...a really good ss fret job should help it out if the korean fret job sucks too badly.but it is the all maple model with the active emg set and the original floyd...

the jr.vee is going to need some work i am sure...it has a quilted maple top and maple neck through with "nato" wings...i don't know about nato...i hear it is similar to mahogany...i have a crappy warlock with what is either nato or mahogany for the body...and it has nice tone after i swapped the pups for my usual set..i am going to have to do a pickup change i am sure...and i will havde to replace the liscensed trem if it is too crappy..but i hope it is decently built...i always like that particular vee model better than any of the other brands...except the kxk vee i have..it is perfect but cost three times what the bc rich does..

i will let you know how they are on quality when they come in...got my fingers crossed...

by the way..i got a blem model explorer before...it was a fine guitar...the blemish was belt buckle rash on the back of the body...good sized scratches...but nothing that bothers me,i scratch them up anyway...

i hope this doesn't come across spammy or anything....with all the new spam this forum gets i worry..but i just like to tell people where i am getting the good deals...sometimes i rip a place a new butthole on here if they try to do me wrong.

Cool sweet! Two new guitars. That's like a year's worth of building for me. So yeah, looks like you've got your year's worth of new guitars, as for the would-be wood that was going to be made it this years, that you can now send off, my address would be......

lol, jk.

That's cool that you got that. I'm surprised cause before I built I used to look through MF, and the blem areas (and I haven't been building TOO long) and they never seemed like there were any good deals for me. Mostly you see like a $50 knock down... which really ins't worth it in my eyes, but it seems like you got some great deals. Congrats.

Chris

you have to be careful and do your research for sure...when you see one you like,check around and see what it goes for elsewhere.it's funny because yu never really get an unflawed guitar from anywhere out of a factory...they ship them with flaws....

i got that explorer for around 1/2 what it usually went for(sale price..not list..list price means nothing at all these days)

i think it had been returned multiple times..probably becuse of a really bad factory fret job..i leveled and dressed the frets and now it plays just like it's supposed to,and i saved a few hundred bucks...(about $500..that one was super low)

you have to be careful and do your research for sure...when you see one you like,check around and see what it goes for elsewhere.it's funny because yu never really get an unflawed guitar from anywhere out of a factory...they ship them with flaws....

i got that explorer for around 1/2 what it usually went for(sale price..not list..list price means nothing at all these days)

i think it had been returned multiple times..probably becuse of a really bad factory fret job..i leveled and dressed the frets and now it plays just like it's supposed to,and i saved a few hundred bucks...(about $500..that one was super low)

You know it is funny, I try and check out the scratch and dent at both mf and ams and I so rarely come across a deal, but it seems everyone else around me does! I was on there just yesterday hoping for a blem double cut lp jr. I saw dude from Little Texas (yeah y'all can laugh!) playing one last year and it sounded great! I have been jonesing ever since.

Their main distribution warehouse is in Kansas City and I go there all the time to check out the beaters in the Clearance Center store. Most of the stuff just needs a good setup, but there are some real hack jobs in there. To be quite honest, I don't recall myself ever purchasing anything there in the last 6 years it's been open just because by the time you replace the broken parts, you could have bought a perfect guitar from the same store.

But it's also great because if I need something from them, I can just drive up to the warehouse/crackhouse part of the river bottoms and get it fast instead of waiting a day for the order to process and another week for UPS to drop it at my house on the other side of town.