My New Bass

so, i started a bass a week or two ago because i've never made a bass and i'd really like to have one. it's going to be a through-neck with a whole bunch of woods and i'll probably shape it sort of like the alembic omega (though, to be honest, i still haven't finalized my body shape.) i bought the wood from rockler and most of the parts from ebay. still need pickups, but i'm thinking about the EMG select hybrid set from stewmac. unless an EMG HZ goes up on ebay for not too much money. or if people have any suggestions for pickups, this is probably going to be a jam band sort of instrument. fretboard is

Neck: maple/walnut veneer/maple veneer/purple heart/maple veneer/ipe/maple veneer/purple heart/maple veneer/walnut veneer/maple

Photo%20101.jpg

spread

neck

Body: cocobolo/maple veneer/purple heart/maple/walnut veneer/mahogany

pre-gluing, wrong order (but they're pretty woods!)

gluing

aanyway. so far, i've glued up the neck and body, and i just planed the neck down flat. next i need to cut the neck profile, i guess. then i'll attach the body and start shaping stuff? or maybe i'll shape the body some first? we'll see.

that neck looks amazing; but beware of multiple venneers in the neck, especially side by side; it dosent look like a 'firstbuild' (far from it); but with the rounding shape of the neck, those glue lines show theyre ugly head more than anywhere and are impossible to fill when the next layer is another veneer, possibly with the same problem;

but i am exited to see this bad boy;

keep this post alive

:D

i'm not terribly worried about the veneers and glue lines. i've made two other guitars, and one of them had a neck that had a bunch of veneers and stuff. i find that as long as you have darker woods in there, the glue lines just sort of blend in with them. plus, i used an absurd number of clamps on this. i went into my school's wood shop and used pretty much every clamp they had. i just kept on adding them wherever i could until there wasn't really any more space to put clamps. anyway. we'll see.

...... still need pickups, but i'm thinking about the EMG select hybrid set from stewmac. unless an EMG HZ goes up on ebay for not too much money. or if people have any suggestions for pickups, this is probably going to be a jam band sort of instrument..

Looking good man. I would stay away from the EMG Select pups. I own a korean made Spector NS-4a that came with the Selects. I was never happy with the tone. Muddy is the best description I can give them.

I replaced the Selects with the EMG HZ's P/J combination and it made all the difference in the world. Crisp defined tone that you can hear through two overdriven guitars.

With the time and effort you are investing in your bass, it will be well worth to work on saving the extra $$ and go with the REAL EMGs. Good luck and keep up the progress.

Greg

i did some more work the other day. got the neck blank side-ways profiled, cut the scarf joint, and planed the body sides down about a quarter of an inch. everything worked out really, and i'm totally pumped. i'll post pictures when i get back to my room this evening.

does anyone know where i should go to get some nice bass pickups? i really don't know anything about bass pickups. i'm willing to drop maybe 75 bucks on them. or so. maybe more if i need to. i've been watching ebay, but i don't really know what to be looking for, even. any suggestions?

does anyone know where i should go to get some nice bass pickups? i really don't know anything about bass pickups. i'm willing to drop maybe 75 bucks on them. or so. maybe more if i need to. i've been watching ebay, but i don't really know what to be looking for, even. any suggestions?

Here are a couple of options. I have a couple of basses with the P style dimarzio pups and they sound great. I really think the dimarzio bass pups are under rated.

J/J

P/J

the p/j dimarzio set seems pretty do-able. does anybody else have any thoughts on it?

I`m working on a Walnut bass with a Bartolini MM42CBJD3 Pickup

It`s a MusicMan style Humbucker with a pre-amp.you might like that route.

I have an OLP with the MM style humbucker and it gets good sounds.Also one pickup,with that nice wood you have,there`s that much less area of the beautiful wood covered .

how do 3 or four coil pickups work? i understand how humbuckers work, but 3 coils? is it like, 3 coils is just a single and a hummer, while four coils is just two buckers in a box? or, woah, do the humbuckers each cancel with eachother? so it's like a super-humbucker? that's sort of neat

Here is a link to show you how they work.

http://www.thebassplace.com/cgi-bin/shoppe...y=BART-MM42CBJD

ohhkay. so a quad coil pickup is two humbuckers side-by side, so each pair of coils is under two of the strings. rad. the wood was about 150 dollars all together. i bought it all on rockler, which worked out well.

i'm not sure a vintage sound is what i'm after. i want something funky fresh that i can play rush-style counter melodies with. and phish. should i look into the Bartolini/musicman sort of stuff more?

Here are a couple of options. I have a couple of basses with the P style dimarzio pups and they sound great. I really think the dimarzio bass pups are under rated.

J/J

P/J

i agree about the dimarzios i put a pair in a fretless (mexi) j bass and they sound AWESOME. total classic j bass growl. can't speak on the p pickups (yet...) but i would imagine they're great too.

i think i scored my model j's on ebay for like $45-50

• 3 weeks later...

so, i scored a pair of EMG-HZ pickups for 50 bucks on ebay the other day. i got a 40HZ for the bridge position and a SJHZ for the neck. i think they'll work out. and i cut my body the other day. i'm pretty excited with how it came out:

Photo%20114.jpg

http://www.rpi.edu/~miglij2/Photo%20109.jpg

http://www.rpi.edu/~miglij2/Photo%20110.jpg

http://www.rpi.edu/~miglij2/Photo%20111.jpg

http://www.rpi.edu/~miglij2/Photo%20112.jpg

• 2 months later...

so, i haven't updated here in a while

but i'm pretty much done. i hand buffed for about an hour tonight and it's looking really shiny. still, i think i'd like to see what a buffing wheel could do to it. i'll try that tomorrow and probably string it up.

but for now, because i'm super excited:

Photo%20191.jpg