A Few Questions About My Neck

Oh... and thanks for not caring.

Your welcome :D

I read this and figured I should make sure you didn't take what I was saying the wrong way.

QUOTE(westhemann @ Dec 9 2006, 03:14 PM)

so go ahead.i really don't care what you use but the truth is titebond is a superior glue for neck laminates..

I think you're taking all of this a little too personal. I agree with you. I only suggested that Gorilla is better for a scarf joint because of the end grain. In the end, you do what feels right for you. I'm sure that Yellow glue would work as well.

:D

Peace,

Rich

• 4 weeks later...
Found this article:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1064

Two Exerpts:

"Shear strength is not polyurethane glue’s strongest feature," he says. "In end grain-to-end grain the stuff is incredible. It far outperforms (yellow glues) in end grain. If you coat both surfaces with polyurethane glue, I’ve seen it (the glue) migrate 2" into wood."

"Polyurethane glues stick well and hold odd materials, but they generally aren’t stronger than yellow glues," Zimmerman says. "Yellow glue makes a bond that is stronger than the wood. So while the polyurethane glue might actually be stronger, it doesn’t matter because the wood will always fail first. It’s not a stronger joint."

Hence my usage of Gorilla glue on Scarf Joints where there's more end grain (my intuition seemed correct)

Also, for tough wood like Cocobolo, I think its a better choice over Yellow Glue (Gut feeling)

:D

I conducted a couple of non-scientific tests. I made 2 scarf joints with gorilla glue and 1 with yellow glue (Lepage Carpenter's glue - Titebond I equivalent)

All tests were done with maple to maple joints. The maple is either hard Rock Maple or Silver Leaf maple.

Conclusions:

1) All Gorilla glue joints failed at the glue line and only a couple of small snippets of wood were torn off. For these tests, I had hard rock maple to hard rock maple joints.

2) The yellow glue joint withstood the test where correct pressure was applied. The wood gave before the glue line. Where I had less pressure, the glue line failed. For this test, the wood that broke was Silver Leaf maple. Did the silver leaf maple break because it is not as strong as the hard rock maple? I don't know.

3) To break the joint, I had to stand on the neck portion of the glued up piece.

So why did the Gorilla joint not perform as well as Yellow glue in my tests? I don't know. I didn't take any more care in preparing the surface for one test vs the other. I cleaned and vacum'ed both surfaces before glue-up in all cases.

On my laminates prepared with Yellow glue, I noticed that the wood breaks near the joints and usually, there is a spot where the glue line is the point of failure and most spots (80%) are wood failure. I didn't try Gorilla glue laminates.

In the end, it takes a lot of force to break the joints regardless of the type of glue used but I think that I'll stick to Yellow Glue for now for all my laminates and scarf joints.

Just thought I'd share this with you.