Tele-esque Design

peterhanson

I'd suggest use a bowl bit for that ledge, so at the bottom it rounds into the next level instead of an abrupt 90 degree. ALSO, I'd radius the top edge of the raised area too, which will be hard with a router bit since the bearing will have no area to ride, I'd get these (I just bought some too):

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...682&p=32682

Chris

The reasoning behind this build was to kind of model after a gibson firebird, and I hadn't really looked at one in a while and after doing so, i realize that 1/4" is way too much. I think I'll have a little more of a lip on it than a firebird, but certainly not a 1/4". Thanks for all the help.

I'd suggest use a bowl bit for that ledge, so at the bottom it rounds into the next level instead of an abrupt 90 degree. ALSO, I'd radius the top edge of the raised area too, which will be hard with a router bit since the bearing will have no area to ride, I'd get these (I just bought some too):

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...682&p=32682

Chris

+1 to that if not a bowl route then maybe a rounded lip...

The reasoning behind this build was to kind of model after a gibson firebird, and I hadn't really looked at one in a while and after doing so, i realize that 1/4" is way too much. I think I'll have a little more of a lip on it than a firebird, but certainly not a 1/4". Thanks for all the help.

I noticed the firebird esque look I totally dig it. I would go with 3/8 in lift on it so that when you finish all of your planeing and sanding you are left with something high, but not too high. I think that the firebird is about 5/16 raised in the center, I could be wrong though.

I think i have a better hang of Google SketchUP. Here are the results. Hopefully I can start posting real pics soon. I'm almost finished with the guitar neck, so as soon as i get pictures of that I'll start a post in the works in progress forum.

th_finalguitarrender6.jpg

th_finalguitarrender5.jpg

th_finalguitarrender4.jpg

th_finalguitarrender3.jpg

th_finalguitarrender2.jpg

th_finalguitarrender.jpg

First of all I love the shape and personally I would prefer that over any telecaster any day. It is much more interesting to look at. That said, something with the shape of the pickguard just isn't sitting right with me. I think it should flow more with the lower part of the body but, I don't know how you would do that with the raised section in the middle. I don't know, just my two cents. Great design though.

I tried adding a piece to the pickguard, and I didn't like it. I don't think taking away from it would work, so as of now I plan on leaving it as is. If anyone has any ideas in reguards to leaving the pickguard/changing it, i'd love to hear them.

Edited by peterhanson

So I have mixed results from the peanut gallery, I'm liking it. Causing a little friendly controversy on the ole forum. It took a while to get the Negative Nancys out of the woodwork. Thanks again for all the input. If anyone would be able to post pictures or links to a square horn guitar that seems to fit the style, please do so.

Edited by peterhanson

I got this idea after searching for a square horned guitar on the forum. I'm not sure it fit's the guitar, but I had a similar idea when I initially drew up plans for it.... Soooo, should I keep the stripe, or lose it?

th_finalguitarrenderwstripe.jpg

Link to thread I kind of got the idea from.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...0horn&st=15

I agree with Mick, changing just the horn, but retaining the rest of the Tele profile, looks odd. It's like the Tele's on acid, but, it's only just kicked in.

Maybe add some corners on the upper shoulder to show that the psychedelics are taking control. The control plate looks a little too Tele and abandoned by the shrinking pickguard. Consider rear routing the controls, having the knobs right on the wood and using a smaller metal plate just for the toggle. Both the pickguard and control plate would look like they were shrinking... I can't remember if that's "eat me" or "drink me" in the Alice in Wonderland story.

I'd go for unstriped.

Unstriped. I, too, was wondering how the rest of it would look with just a BIIiiiit more squaring off, like in the upper bout. But overall, I still think it's folly to fart around TOO much beyond what you've already done. It's meant to look like a nutzoid tele, and if you change everything around, it's just not going to have its pedigree any more. Gotta keep the control plate. If you can make a custom "squared off" one, though... hmm... :D

Again, don't veer too far from your original design, IMO.

Greg

Part of the problem I have with the horn is that it doesn't correspond with the rest --which remains curvy. The squared off bit jars somewhat...

Also, a lot of my own inspiration for starting to build came from Girl Brand guitars --I like the idea that he maintains the traditional tele shape but goes wild on it within that limit.

I understand where you are at with staying in the limits, but personally I wanted to try stepping out of the limits. Seeing as how this is my first build, I'm going have to take GregP's advice and not mess with the original design too much. It'll just make things A. too hard and B. not fun. Thanks again guys. Plus after I get this guitar out of the way, then I'll be able to start something new and different and maybe less out of the box :D

Edited by peterhanson