Acg Recurve Single Cut 5 String Bass

skelf

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah this all ways bugged me to

i just made a wood cover for my bass it anit perfect but it sure is better than plastic

my question is if u do wat travis says how do u puut it on the body when theres no ledge

glue dowl in there

i always thought that the good ones u cut a couple of mills of the boack of the body but it seems strange

Alan, what method have you used? Do you have resaw capabilities? All you have to do is get a body piece about 1/4" thicker and re-saw close to 1/4 out the side you want to use as a back. I did the mistake of glueing the blank one time and I just marked the area were the cover was going to be abd used my router and free handed routed 1/4 out of the back without routing over the cover, thne with a saw just cut the cover out and thichness the blank again.

On the last on I', working now, Rich did it for me but the pieces were too thin so I just laminated them. It looks way better thea a blak or not matching cover!

Edited by Maiden69

I see what you did! If I was in that situation, Ithink that I would had routed from the front to the back the size of the cavity cover, and then with a scroll sawjust cut the cover out, and using a reverse template I would make a "plug" to glue up that would hold the cover from not going in, Right now I'm working in a similar idea for a bass that I'm drawing for a friend! If I get to do it I will post pictures.

I am sure that will work and if the bass was one for myself I would be happy to try it. If it went wrong it would be me picking up the tab but if the instrument is an order I don't like to experimenting on them when someone is paying for them.

Thanks for your thoughts if you get a chance to take some pics while your are trying out the above I would be interested in seeing them and hearing how you get on.

I will!!! :D It's like setting tabs to hold the cover, just that it will be a full ring around the cavity.

Kinda like what Perry did here with his vine, but instead of metal tabs, I'm going to glue a wood ring around it,

http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/galleries/vine/images/155.jpg

Here is the guitar page

http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/galleries/vine/index.htm

I don't think I would do a complete ring round the whole cavity you could get away with 3/4 wooden parts glued on to the side of the cavity to take the screws for the cover plate.

The wood would look better than the metal fittings.

Top notch guitar really nice stain job and finish.

Alan

You could use a small piolt hole then a jeweller's saw with a fine blade to cut it out.

A laser cutter would do the job but I seem to be just a bit short of the several thousand pounds I would need to buy one.

donations accepted. :D

Just got this one finished my first Recurve single cut and my first set neck.

The spec.

Body woods, Alder with an Santos Rosewood top with a 3 mm Tulipwood accent between them.

Neck will be a flamed Sycamore and Mahogany 5 piece with a birdseye/fleck maple acrylic impregnated finger board which will have semi-tone markers in Pear wood. Matching Rosewood headplate. The control cover, neck heel accent and backplate are Bubinga.

2 ACG FatBas pickups and the ACG filter pre-amp.

Hipshot Type A bridge and Hipshot Ultralites Schaller straplocks.

The finish is 60% sheen lacquer on the body with 20% sheen lacquer on the neck.

375672550_163673c2d5.jpg

More pics at.

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/105/

You know Alan i have just realised how much your work has influenced me. I have just designed a bass for a guy who lives near me and it shares a lot of features with this. We settled on an acrylised birdseye fretboard with light coloured wood fretlines. Ours is gonna have a walnut crotch top but the overall colour combo is very similar to this is very. The only major difference is ours will be a through-neck. The shape is a smoothed out version of my singlecut design and it has ended up looking sorta similar to this! i.e. square lower horn - quite slim compared to the usual singlecut. Mine is less ofset.

Oh well i suppose its flattery!!!!

Hi Wes

You can expect a call from my lawyers first thing tomorrow morning :D .

Everyone has their influence's I really didn't like single cuts until I saw what JP did with them. That got me to see what could be done with the form. Up until then I had only seen things like Fodera single cuts which I really don't like.

Edited by skelf

Any thoughts on how the acrylised maple will hold up to strings. The guy i am doing a fretless for wanted me to do the epoxy coated thing which i didnt fancy - i talked him round to an acrylised B/E maple board so i am hoping it wears well.

The thing i notice with singlecuts is that they always look strange on paper. Sometimes you have to just go with it.

One of my prototype basses has an acrylic black palm board and has been played a fair bit. The strings don't seem to be doing any damage certainly no more than on an ebony board. I use nickel strings on all my basses which are a bit softer than the stainless this will help I think.

Alan

Nice looking Singlecut Wez, its got a FBB Custom bass look to it! I totally understand the strange view of designs on paper

Robbie.

• 2 weeks later...