Acg Recurve Single Cut 5 String Bass

skelf

Hi

This is my latest project just started it of this week.

The top,body core,headplate and the fingerboard all came from Larry at Gallery.

Body core will be Swamp Ash with a Sappy Redwood top and a Quilt Maple back both with a black accent line.

Neck 7 piece Bibinga/Flamed Sycamore with a Redwood headplate and a Quilt Maple back plate and heel all with accent veneers.

Fingerboard acrylic impregnated Birdseye Maple.

Hardware all in black.

Hipshot Type A bridge.

Hipshot Ultralites.

2 ACG Fatbas custom wound humbuckers with coil switching on mini-switches.

ACG custom pre-amp.

Schaller straplocks and neutrik locking jack.

Finish will be 60% lacquer on the body with 20% lacquer on the back of the neck for that smooth satin feel.

comments more than welcome.

Cheers

Alan

318755300_2da5c5a0f4.jpg

Somemore pics at the link below.

ACG Gallery

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, slap some strings on it, and I'll play it as-is :D

Always good to see one of your designs take place, Alan. And your wood choice/grade is always awesome! It's going to turn out sharp. I'm trying to forsee in my head what'll take shape, but I think the top will look asymmetrical, even though it is bookmatched, because of the large not-a-horn on top. Good thing, bad thing, depends on the person, but I think it'll look good.

You mention black hardware and accent line. What about doing black binding? With such a light wood, I think it'll look pretty sharp!

What exactly is "acrylic impregnated Birdseye Maple?" I've never heard of that before, and I think I'm in need of enlightenment.

I have to say I like binding but have had very little joy using the stuff. The bass will also have a fair bit of contouring and a roundover this would make the binding really hard to do well at least for me anyway.

Acrylic impregnated wood is produced by Larry at Gallery Hardwoods.

As I understand it the wood is impregnated with acrylic monomers in a vacuum oven.

This makes the wood harder and more stabile which makes woods not suitable for even fretless to be used without any problems. The other up side is that you don,t need to finish the board. Normally you would have to spray a maple board to stop it getting dirty very quickly but with this stuff you just buff it up to the level of sheen you want and that is it. I just love the stuff and it sounds great to.

Alan

Edited by skelf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just a small update.

The neck has been glued up and the scarf joint sorted out truss rod fitted and the carbon rods glued in the neck has been profiled just the fingerboard to glued on The body blank has been made up and is just waiting for the body to be bandsawed out. The headplate backplate and heel have been cut out and the veneers glued to them. So a fair bit should get done over the next week pics will be here soon.

Alan

Made a start on Andy's bass a 5 string Recurve.

Body in Black Limba with a Flamed Bibinga top and black veneer accent line.

Neck 7 piece Bibinga/maple with Bibinga headplate back plate and heel all with accent lines. Again most of the woods from Larry at Gallery.

Hardware in black.

ACG pre-amp.

2 ACG custom humbuckers.

Hipshot Type A bridge.

Hipshot Ultralites.

Schaller Straplocks and a Neutrik locking jack.

Finish 60% sheen lacquer on the body and 20% sheen on the neck for a satin feel.

319719700_204f88a6f2.jpg

ACG Gallery

Edited by skelf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Travis

All the posts are appreciated.

I am not all that keen to do a neck thru.

I had thought about doing it but after trying the set neck and being really pleased from a build point and a sound point of veiw I am happy not to try the thru necks for the time being.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...