Mahogany

i found some mahogony the other day at a place i shop for wood; this guy dosent deal with mahogany but brought this in for someone who paid for it and dissapeared; it was so long ago he couldnt even tell me where he got it. written on the top of the one slab is T.A. Mahog; which could mean any kind of B.S. i know; but is anyone familliar with this?

tropical american maybe?

i got two slabs, one im keeping, cause its good enough for 2 les pauls @2" thick;

but the other one is 5"x3" and about 5 ft. i think; not much less if it is; its no good to cut up and put randomly in bodies and i refuse to use mahogany necks, its as straight grained as anything ive seen; i was gonna make a new guitar rack out of it cause that would be cool; but just as much id like to make money and this is prime neck wood for acoustics; i'll try to get some pics and post them in the for sale area

thanx

oh its quartered; and old;

the one im keeping for bodies is dressed and has some figuring; i dont know if the other is going to be the same; but the end grain looks as straight as ive ever seen;

but i refuse to use mahog necks; this site isnt interested in philosophies, just what others have done >jab< j/k

and no matter how 'easy' something is to work with , its not worth the tiniest effort if your not happy with it :D

even the most wasteful person could get 4 one piecers out of it;

so no one could guess at why there is T.A. mahog written on it?

thanx

this site isnt interested in philosophies, just what others have done >jab< j/k

If someone can provide a well reasoned philosophy, I think this site is more than happy to listen. Some of your previous philosophies (particularly around grain orientation in necks) have been somewhat lacking in explanation, and just contradictory/unclear.

There is no 'True African' mahogany; there are at least 4-5 distinct commercial species with Sipo, Sapele and Khaya as trade names. 'True American' makes more sense, because there is at least a genus for 'true' mahoganies (Swetinia), and practically just one commercial species these days (Macrophylla), with Cuban (Mahagonii) and Small Leaf (Microphylla) being very rare indeed.