modifying a Jackson

I read a post on another board that linked to a tutorial here about paint stripping.

Anyway.

I was thinking of stripping my jackson and modifying it in other ways.

Right now its:

Alder

maple / rosewood 24fret neck

H-S-H

Vol-Tone-5way spade type

licensced Floyd

Black.

basically this

EMG 81/S/81

original.JPG

I'd like to go from that and add:

a thin maple top (like teh 1/8" veneer offered at warmoth) in order to make it

H-H

Vol-Tone-3way toggle

DiMarzio Air Norton/Steves Special (or similar) wired w/ the middle position using one coil of each hum (the same thing Petrucci uses)

after.JPG

How hard is it to add a top? How would I go about routing out the hum/potshafts/toggle/floyd rose 'holes'....and also get it to match the front arm contour and theres also a lil contour on the lower horn.

I'd dye the top black and give it a transparent or maybe all black paint on the back/sides.

Anyone know if adding a 1/8" top is feasible?

Oopse forgot to say that later on I'd get a different neck w/ binding/sharkfins.

Also, i'd probably wait on the dimarzios also. Basically...the first mod i would do would be adding the top and dying/painting it.

it might be a good idea to get the body planed down an 1/8" then add the top depending on the current clearance the strings have right now over the top of the body, also weather or not the floyd is sunk into the guitaror now and weather there is 1/8" available space under the neck's overhang if it has any.

i think you can steam a 1/8" over the arm rest no problem, but i've never done that i just remember reading a couple guys here talking about that was it scott that had the really nice looking figured top guitars???

you might be better off going with a veneer top and just filling in the single coil cavity with some scrap wood cause then you don't have to worry about adding to much thickness to the body

anyways once you get the top on there, you should have drilled pillot holes for the 2 HB's brige and and neck or roughed them out on a scroll saw. then use a flush trim router bit to trace the cavities onto the new peice of wood

but that's just what i would do...

yeah veneer. The stuff thats like a fake wood sticker right?

Can you dye/paint that stuff?

and..yeah..i have no idea what you mean by ..scroool saw...or flush trim router bit...... :D

I'm not a woodworker. But my aunt tons of tools...i'm sure whatever you said she prolly has or can obtain from work.

I have 2 guitars that i never use..nor will i probably ever use.

I was planning on practicing the stripping technique on those...i guess i can practice the veneering too, right?

I'm off to home depot to start pricing stuff.

Thanks.

I'll be sure to take pics of the process and all that so I can post it here ...just for show and information if anyone else plans on doing this... B)

veneer is real wood, just cut really thin (like construction paper thickness) and yes you can stain it. Scroll saws.... well just check one out at a store and flush trim bit...

2400.GIF

nope...its real wood. Check out the ones Brian has at universal jems. :D

oh sorry, nevermind. Brians are WAY skinnier than what you mentioned.

nice.

NO no..thats exactly what i wanted.

Something thin enough to just have to ...put it on...without a lot of wood working and what not (since i'm not apt in woodworking).

The cutting out of the hums/etc...would be the hardest for me.

thanks for that link... might endu p getting my veneer from them....depending on what home depot or whatever else i can find where i live.

nope...its real wood. Check out the ones Brian has at universal jems. :D

oh sorry, nevermind. Brians are WAY skinnier than what you mentioned.

nice.

NO no..thats exactly what i wanted.

Something thin enough to just have to ...put it on...without a lot of wood working and what not (since i'm not apt in woodworking).

The cutting out of the hums/etc...would be the hardest for me.

thanks for that link... might endu p getting my veneer from them....depending on what home depot or whatever else i can find where i live.

home depot won't have any decent veneers.

At my home depot, all they have is pine, plywood and mdf.

Brian actually sells that veneer. He also put an excellent tutorial on projectguitar.com on adding veneer to a body...

heh..i didn't see that tutorial..odd cuz its just a few above the stripping one i was reading :D.

Thanks.

Thats what I'm gonna do on one my guitars i never use...to practice.

And if it works.... then i'll do my jackson.

I just have to find the right veneer and black dye.

Any ideas?

I'll take a look again at brians veneer..but I want AAAA or maybe even AAAAA flamed maple....might get somethin off ebay...

Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably start this in a couple of weeks...gotta track down the maple an ddye.