Locking tuners instead of a locking nut?

Hi,

I'm only a part time Floyd Rose user but when I do use one I really hate tuning with the fine tuners (too fiddly, tuning changes as you touch the bridge, etc.). Could you take the clamp off the lock nut, install locking locking tuners and tune at the headstock instead? Would this work or am I missing the point?

Jon

It seems like a growing trend that people are revolting against the floyd bridges/nuts. The locking nut has never bothered me but I'm thinking about building one like Scott mentioned just to see if I like it better. I'm never in a hurry when changing strings or tuning up, maybe that's why it's never been an issue with me.

Is there any other benefit to using a graphtech nut other than not having to unlock the nut? For instance, is there a noticable improvement in sustain or something like that?

I've just replaced the locking nut with a graphtech one and installed sperzel locking tuners on my Ibanez S series. It's worked well and it stays in tune great without the hassle of using the fine tuners and allan keys. The strings also feel a bit easier to play, due to the new tuners I guess.

Jon

If you use the locking tuners (which don't require string trees) the strings should stay put pretty well.

It was any easy job to install the new nut. I added a few wood shims to bring the nut upto the right height and then superglued it all together. However I do have a bit of a gap where the old nut used to be so it doesn't look as good.

Jon