Assembling Ready Made Parts

I plan on buying a strat body such as this

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2006-Fender-Standard-St...6QQcmdZViewItem

And I plan on buying a fender neck such as this

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2006-American-Fender-St...3QQcmdZViewItem

Is it guaranteed that the neck will fit in the neck pocket perfecty with no adjustments neccesary, you just have to screw in the bolts and thats it?

Thanks a lot.

Is it guaranteed that the neck will fit in the neck pocket perfecty with no adjustments neccesary, you just have to screw in the bolts and thats it?

No, it's not guaranteed at all. Since both parts come from Fender, it's possible that they will fit, and maybe even likely that they will. But there are absolutely no guarantees here. But definitely make sure the body was originally fit with the same kind of neck (i.e. 22 frets with overhang).

And I question whether it's worth it --that neck is going to sell for around $300 or so, so you'll already be into the guitar for close to $500 --without pickups, the bridge, tuners, electronics, pickguard, etc (all of which will have to be carefully chosen as well in order to ensure a perfect fit). And with all that, it's never going to be a 'real' Fender MIA.

In the end, you're not going to save all that much. Just in case that's your motivation for going that way.

Another thing. You cannot just “screw the neck on”. Even with the right neck. You have to make sure that the neck is properly aligned. Even with “a perfect fit” there is going to be a slight play that can make the neck shift just a tiny bit. But it can be enough to make the strings fall off the frets close to the body (on treble or bass side). You need to make sure this doesn’t happen. This is even more important if the neck hasn’t pre-drilled hole (I have no idea if the fender necks are drilled).

What you do is this:

Put on the bridge

Put on the (at least) roughly shaped nut (something to mark ere the strings will go)

Clamp the neck into the neck pocket (don’t forget to protect the frets)

Take a thin thread or similar

Put that through the bridge like you would with a string were the high E would go.

Pull the string all the way to the head, over the nut, through the hole for the tuner for the high E

Pull it back to the front of the head through the hole for the tuner for the low E

Pull the thread back to and through the bridge like you would with the low e-string.

Make sure everything is aligned like it should (equal distance between the thread and the end of the frets)

Take a drill bit that fits nice in the hole on the body and use it to mark onto the neck were the holes should go

Take off the neck

Go to your pillar drill. And yes a pillar drill is needed if you are going to get this right. If you have none, forget doing this.

Lay the neck, face down, on the drill table.

Clamp a wooden cam clamp to the neck (neck pocket portion of the neck) so that it cannot rock on the table.

Measure the core size of the neck attachment screws and get the correct sized drill bit

Measure how long the screws protrude if you put them in place in the body (don’t forget the neck plate).

Put a bit of masking tape at the drill bit to mark the right depth for the hole

Take a deep breath and go ahead and drill.

Good luck

Thanks a lot guys. After some consideration I might just buy a guitar body and neck from stewmac. Though the neck pocket and the neck dont have any holes in them. Or I could even buy a saga guitar kit or carvin. Though im weary about the quality of the wood I will be getting. Also Im not sure the carvin kit is worth it because I think im going to be changing the electronics, pickups, tuners, bridge. Unless you guys would say that all of the above are quality in the carvin?

Edited by snowblind123

If you want a guitar that you'll have to put more money into it than it's worth to get it playing and sounding great, get the Saga. If you want a pro-quality guitar with some assembly required, buy the Carvin. Everything on them, including the pickups, are high quality. People tend to change out pickups to taste anyway, so don't worry about pulling out the Carvins.

If you want a guitar that you'll have to put more money into it than it's worth to get it playing and sounding great, get the Saga. If you want a pro-quality guitar with some assembly required, buy the Carvin. Everything on them, including the pickups, are high quality. People tend to change out pickups to taste anyway, so don't worry about pulling out the Carvins.

assembly required on the carvins? Its the same as the saga only I can imagine that you have to do the soldering yourself which I already know how to. I plan on adding a series/parallel switch aswell to the carvin.

The Carvin is a bolt-together kit with a few soldering connections. The fretwork is a lot cleaner than the Saga, the tolerances are closer than Saga, the quality of the parts is light years ahead of Saga, and I'm sure you'll wind up with a better playing instrument if you go with Carvin.

Though im weary about the quality of the wood I will be getting

Though I haven’t bought any redy-to-screw-toghether parts from StewMac I can say that the woods I have bought from them (a body blank some neck blanks and a whole bunch of fretboard blanks) have been of excellent quality and I have never been disappointed.