First Project

I've really been wanting to build a custom guitar for a while but I dont know how to get started I got very basic wood working skills and I'm sure that I can make do with the tools I have or borrow or rent the ones I need, can you suggest some easy first projects?

First, read a whole bunch! The first thing to spend money on is a book or two. I've bought and read all of the books I could find on the subject of building electric guitars. I personally got the most out of Melvyn Hiscock's book, Make Your Own Electric Guitar, and Martin Oakham's Build Your Own Electric Guitar: Complete Instructions And Full-size Plans (I didn't use the plans, but the book is quite good).

The first project I would (did) attempt would be a bolt-on neck Strat sort of guitar. Even better if you already have one you can try to make a pretty close copy of (then get more fancy on the next one if you want).

The next step is to get a load of cheap wood and practice using the tools. And be prepared to scrap your first efforts. You'll definitely want to spend most of your time making templates (which takes a lot of the risk away when you move on to the guitar itself). And if you're about to do something for the first time, always try it out a few times on scrap wood.

I came into this with absolutely no skills at all...I'm only just starting to get to the point where I'm thinking that I might one day make a viable guitar. But I'm having a great time with this along the way. Just make sure you have other guitars to play in the meantime.

can you suggest some easy first projects?

Telecaster. It is relatively simple and it can be done using simple tools and the result might be really good. Do you have access to a router and a pillar drill (have or can borrow, router is most important)? If so, the rest you need is only simple hand tools like knives hand planes and a bunch of sand paper. Go for an oil finish if you do not have access to spraying equipment. Buy the fret board if you think that cutting the fret slots sound tricky. Use a modern double action trussrod that only need a straight simple channel in the neck.

All sound advice (above), but I always say to consider a kit as a first build too (but not as a replacement for the books, reading on-line and practicing). It will answer many of the why's and where too's that will help you design adn build yours better from the start. As stated on a previous thread, Carvin makes a good one, so does WD.

Good info here, but don't forget (as much as I like it and think it's an invaluable resource), Melvyn's book assumes that you have some woodworking knowledge under your belt. The 'woodworking' can be some of the hardest stuff do do if you have no tools or experience. Your body needs to be flat, your neck blank square and flat, etc.

As others have mentioned, I definitely recommend trying things on scrap first, make a (relatively) simple bolt on like a Tele, and GO SLOW! :D It would make sense to buy guitar body and neck blanks, as opposed to raw lumber also, especially if you don't have access to decent tools.

A router is important, but read up on it before you use it. A bit spinning at 22000 RPMs can do alot of damage! There are great how-to books on routers and woodworking in general out there at your library. I suggest you do alot of reading before diving in.

And, GOOD LUCK! :D

Edited by fyb