Is This A Good Pickup Combo?

pdizzle

Do you suggest this pickup combo?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I am building a V and I am currently thinking about which pickups, I am thinking

| |

| |

[Gibson P90] NECK

[bill Lawrence L-500XL] BRIDGE

I play MUSE,Coheed & Cambria, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Older Stuff (srv, acdc, jimi hendrix, led zepplin), Incubus, Motion City Soundtrack, Bullet for My Valentine.

So what do yall think?

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I am building a V and I am currently thinking about which pickups, I am thinking

| |

| |

[Gibson P90] NECK

[bill Lawrence L-500XL] BRIDGE

I play MUSE,Coheed & Cambria, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Older Stuff (srv, acdc, jimi hendrix, led zepplin), Incubus, Motion City Soundtrack, Bullet for My Valentine.

So what do yall think?

Well since you asked I would use either:

‘59 & JB Seymour Duncan

or

Pearly Gates & CC Seymour Duncan

But defiantly standard full size pups

:D

Id go with a normal L500, the xl will be way too hot in comparason with a P90. Also for the type of music you play you dont want a stupidly hot PU, if i remember the XL is abou 18-12ohms, about 8-12 ohm output would be fine.

the 59/JB combo would be good but i imagine you want the p90 as Mr Belamy has one fitted im asuming?

• 1 month later...

Iagree with Robert the Damned. I am partial to the P 90 though. Also depends what amp you use..effects... I don't care for the overwound pickups though. Or you could go with a good matched set of Bartolini pickups if you want it to really shine. They really have some great active electronics. The pickups sound great clean but when you switch on the electronics ...Sustain out the...... (you know what)

Edited by justascratch

• 3 months later...

I think it depends on what WOOD you are using for the V body. Some woods emphasize the bass frequencies a lot so your bridge pickup will need to compensate for that. IMHO the Bill Lawrence XL is fine but tends to be somewhat muddy, so a high-bass wood might cause problems. I'm assuming the P90 will serve you for more quieter (non-distortion) passages?

I have a an Ibanez RG (basswood body, maple neck) with an L500XL in the bridge and a Flying V (mahogany neck and body) with a Dimebucker in the bridge (Basically the same thing as a L500XL). For both of these guitars, I have a Duncan JB as the neck pickup. I heard once upon a time that a Duncan JB makes a good hot neck pickup to balance a really hot bridge pickup, particularly the super high output passive ones such as the L500XL and the Dimarzio X2N. Since I had a JB in the bridge of one of my guitars and didnt like it as a bridge pickup, I tried it in the neck on the Ibanez with the L500XL (which I wanted to try for some time). The V I bought used, and it came that way (someone else thinks along the same lines as me). Anyhow, bottom line is, this combination works really really well together. The body wood affects the tone somewhat, I can actually get a thicker tone with more bite out of the mahogany V than I can with the basswood RG. The neck pickup tone is pretty similar between the two however, on both it's loud, full, and gets decent jazzy warm clean tones and incredible hot lead tones distorted. I can get pinch harmonics and blazing legato runs with that pickup distorted. Best of all, JB's are pretty common and easy as hell to pick up used (since they are probably the most common aftermarket pickup out there). Also, with coil tapping, both of these pickups sound pretty good and flexible, and make an even match for each other in every situation I've tried. Oh yeah, another thing that works pretty cool with them is running both pickups with a phase switch. I can get great bright lead tones running them out of phase, they seem to change the EQ, but not really drop in volume like most pickup combo's do out of phase.