How Much Work Would Be Required..

Ezro

You can get a new Pacifica (or whatever you want) as-is for far less than you'd pay in money and frustration trying to modify this one.

The pickguard is NOT an easy job, either-- Yamaha has nonstandard pickguards, and you'd have to make your own using a pickguard blank, if you wanted it to have 3 single coils. That's a job in and of itself, if you want to do it with quality and precision.

Greg

It depends. I've played some cheap guitars that we're great, and some that had fret problems and did not play well. It's pretty much the luck of the draw when dealing with something in that price range. I'd deffinitly go to a store and play a guitar first before buying. I'd never buy a guitar off ebay.

I put a partso together with one of those bodies a few years back. It was solid basswood, but like the man says you either have to use the stock pickguard or make one yourself.

By the way, those guitars aren't bad stock. Nothing fancy--just basic low end stuff, but they work.

EDIT: If you want something a little easier to modify/upgrade, you might look for one of these. I got one for $60 when Overstock.com was blowing them out before Christmas. They're made in Indonesia by either Cort or Samick (mine's Cort), so the quality is comparable to others from the same factory (not too bad). For a beater, they're hard to beat. Ahem.