Where to start

I plan on doing some veneer work on one guitar, if that comes out ok...do it on my main guitar.

I'm thinking of making my own guitar after all that, maybe over Winter(i live in a place whre it gets like 70s during the day during winter) I'm not very good with woodworking tools. But... I'll learn dang-nammit. I'm thinking of just starting w/ the cheapest woods i can find, like plywood or MDF or something like that just to get the technique and stuff.

I think i'll buy that book that seems to be 'the guitar makers bible' .. The How to make a Guitar book. haha.. :D

Can someone lead me to specs for an Ibanez RG style body and Wizard neck w/ the All Access Neck Joint.

And how about tools? Are there cheap/homemade type of tools that I can use instead of investing in certain things from like stewmac. Just incase the plywood version is too much for me..and i choose not to go on...i don't have a lot invested.

Thanks for any help.

I I'm thinking of just starting w/ the cheapest woods i can find, like plywood or MDF or something like that just to get the technique and stuff.

Do us all a favor and PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEASE do not use mdf or plywood! Spend the extra $10-$15 you would have to spend to get a decent guitar sized piece of alder, you will definately be glad you did. Mdf does not hold screws very well, nor does it produce a good tone.

For the RG specs, were you looking for the actual hardware specs? or more of a blueprint sorta thing? If you were looking for the blueprint, go to the bottom of this page.

For tools, check out the main-site tutorials on tools.

Aaron

well I was just saying MDF, because its local...as far as i know..its cheap.

I don't expectt this guitar to become my main guitar..or to even be used.

I just want to practice ...getting used to using the tools, finding out how i want my arm contour, etc... Ya know? I don't wanna go thru multiple pieces of alder or other real wood(i'd end up using mahogony more often than not), just to end up making a bunch of mistakes.

So i'd rather just use something cheap and easy to get to make all my decisions on, for example like i said ...the arm contour, shape, placement of controls, all the fun stuff. I couldn't care less how the 1st few sound, as it'd be more learning than anything. Ya get what I'm saying?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095...0675260-5256113

I'm gonna go price that book locally tomorrow (maybe later tonite even). If i find it at a decent price i'll get it.. if not..then i'll have to order it.

Thats the book every one should get right? Or is there a better one?

Thanks for the link to the tutorials..been there. Been reading up on this subject this week. Totally forgot about the Jemsite though....

get some alder, poplar, basswood, the cheapest stuff around dont't get mahognay... it's fairly pricy..., what are you planning on doing for the neck? i would sujjest having it before you make the neck pocket in the body... unless you're going to make the neck then you should be ok

get some alder, poplar, basswood, the cheapest stuff around dont't get mahognay... it's fairly pricy..., what are you planning on doing for the neck? i would sujjest having it before you make the neck pocket in the body... unless you're going to make the neck then you should be ok

I mean....when i make a real guitar(or multiple hopefully)...where tone is an issue.

I'll probably use Mahogony more than any other wood.

I was planning on making a Wizard style neck. Again, outta some cheap wood w/ prolly just plastic inlays before working w/ MoP or something nicer.

Well I was able to find some AutoCADs of some guitars from guitarbuild.com.

including an RG, but I was never really good at AutoCAD.

Can someone tell me how to get the model of the RG to print out life size.

I think its done in 1:1, i did some dimensions on it..and it came out to what the schematic said it should. But every time I try to get it into a layout it comes out different..

Is plotting the model possible?