A Little Advice Here Please

Ok so I was thinking of doing a telecaster out of alder with a flamed maple front and a flamed maple back

the place I was buying my flamed maple top from says that it is 6/15" thick. Times that by 2 and that makes 12/15" of an inch thick worth of maple. and then I was planning on buying 1" thick alder. WHich makes my telecaster 27/15" which equals 1.8" thick when a body should be about 1.75" thick.

Another option for me would be to get another thinner set of maple top. but I havent found any that has been in my price range. the one im getting is about 25 dollars and the fugure is fine. can someone point me to some thinner cheaper flamed maple tops?

Oh and lets say I got some flamed maple that was like 3/15" thick and times that by 2 and add the 1" alder. That would make my body 1.4" thick. which is thinner then the average telecaster. Would it be hard to avoid the obvious problems of running through the wood because of pickup holes and all? Basically is it possible to make it that thin, and is it easy?

going a little thick is okay... you'll lose some sanding anyway...

going thin.. the only conserations are- will the electronics fit? and is the balance goibg to be okay with a thinner body?

id go with the thicker one sanded down myself.

excuse the lack of caps and punctuation... but i'm eating and typing with one hand....

Just because it says in the books that the telecaster is supposed to be 1.75" doesn't mean it HAS to be 1.75". Since a 'real' telecaster isn't supposed to have a flamed maple front and back, why get hung up on this measurement?

Besides, 1.8" (45.72 mm) is pretty damn close...and, actually may work out to your benefit, depending on how much sanding you'll have to do.

Going too thin is impossible with a telecaster, if you're going to use all stock telecaster parts --the control cavity on mine is already 35 mm deep.

the place I was buying my flamed maple top from says that it is 6/15" thick.

Before I worried about it too much, I'd double check the maple's measurement with your supplier. It may be right, but I've never heard of anyone measuring wood in 15ths before.

Even if all the measurements are EXACT and each piece is perfectly dimensioned, you are talking about less that 1/16" difference between 1.8" and 1.75" thick. 1.75" thick is your final target thickness, not your starting thickness.

Ok so I was thinking of doing a telecaster out of alder with a flamed maple front and a flamed maple back

the place I was buying my flamed maple top from says that it is 6/15" thick. Times that by 2 and that makes 12/15" of an inch thick worth of maple. and then I was planning on buying 1" thick alder. WHich makes my telecaster 27/15" which equals 1.8" thick when a body should be about 1.75" thick.

Another option for me would be to get another thinner set of maple top. but I havent found any that has been in my price range. the one im getting is about 25 dollars and the fugure is fine. can someone point me to some thinner cheaper flamed maple tops?

Oh and lets say I got some flamed maple that was like 3/15" thick and times that by 2 and add the 1" alder. That would make my body 1.4" thick. which is thinner then the average telecaster. Would it be hard to avoid the obvious problems of running through the wood because of pickup holes and all? Basically is it possible to make it that thin, and is it easy?

Who came up with 15th's as a measurement (are you the great Litchfeild)?