Need Your Input On This V Restoration

Hey Project Guitar,

Pic here with paint fully stripped: http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...tarVpics005.jpg

What I'm leaning towards at this time is something like this: http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...FlyingVandc.jpg

I have some sanding to do now and really its still up in the air whether to stain it like this :

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...headsguitar.jpg

or simply put some clear on it. But sure would appreciate any other creative ideas. I probably should've just left it candyapple red but its too late for that now. I actually am considering making a wooden pickguard... have you ever seen them before? Hope to hear back from you guys... again much appreciative of your input.

Ken

Im currently in the process of making 3 set neck korina 59 flying V's. As of right now either all of them will be clear with black pickguard or one will be black with a black pickguard. Those two combos are by far my favorite. I did make a 59 outta purple heart with a black pickguard that I think looks pretty damn good. But utimately I think the clear finish is the best without a doubt.

MzI

Wow that two stage sounds difficult, wouldn't know where to begin. Buddy of mine told me to Tung oil it which will bring out the grain quite nicely. But even with this there must be a process involved... anyone have experience in this by chance?

I'm trying to find out exactly where that guitar is displayed, its called the "coop" guitar since he was raised by chickens in a chicken coop.

thanks for responding,

Ken

I may be wrong, but I think it's too late to stain a guitar that's already been finished. The pores are filled, the stain won't take.

Mick,you are probably right.

I was thinking it sanded back to natural wood,but the filler and/or sealer is probably deeper than that.

Sorry

The wooden pickguard is actually a feasable idea, I am using one on my build right now, and it is strong and works perfectly. It looks much better than a white plastic one for my guitar which is kept its natural wood color. Most people would probably look at me strangely for this, but a 16th inch piece of plywood worked quite well. If you have more money than i do and really want it to look amazing, I'd get a 16th inch veneer and cut it to pickguard size. Good luck with the project!

Wow that two stage sounds difficult, wouldn't know where to begin. Buddy of mine told me to Tung oil it which will bring out the grain quite nicely. But even with this there must be a process involved... anyone have experience in this by chance?

I'm trying to find out exactly where that guitar is displayed, its called the "coop" guitar since he was raised by chickens in a chicken coop.

thanks for responding,

Ken

It's really not any more difficult than it sounds...although it might not be possible anyway as has been mentioned.

It's used mostly on figured tops to make them "pop"....add a dark stain, sand it back so that there's only dark stain in the deeper pores, add a lighter stain, cover with clear. Try a search for "stain" & have a look in the finishing sections, it's a common procedure & worth knowing about even if you don't do it this time.

Ended up using 4 coats of Casey's Tru Oil... turned out good have a looksy :D

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...tarVpics013.jpg

Its not completely put together yet. I need to decide on what nut material to go with along with a new bridge. The original is a gotoh

bridge but am wondering if there's something better that locks in with setscrews or something. Also am wondering if at this time

I should change out the pots. Whatcha think?

Ken