Bodyblank Help

there are tons of places on the internet that cary different sizes of wood

assuming you dont want a maple top you want to start close to 2" planed iF at all possible.

you can also get things like Alder, Poplar, Basswood, Mahogany, Walnut, White Ash, etc from a local hardwood dealer and make your own blank from joining and planing.

swamp ash is much harder to find at a local level, even when calling Louisiana for it.

here are a few wood sources I know people on here recommend:

http://galleryhardwoods.com/

http://www.gilmerwood.com/

and after searching online this is IMO the best source for swamp ash, they carry much more then what they list online so call them if you have specific needs:

http://www.globalwoodsource.com/SWAMP-ASH.php

I'm not sure where you are located, but you could check with a local lumber mill. Also, you might stop by a local cabinet-maker's shop and ask where they purchase their hardwoods from. They don't normally buy from Lowe's or Home Depot. HA! HA!

At a lumber mill, you'll be able to purchase 4/4 or, or preferably 6/4 rough-sawn. They'll generally plane it down to the thickness you desire (for a small fee).

If there are multiple lumber mills for you to choose from, I'd suggest buying from one that stores their lumber in a climate-controlled area.

The 2 woods you're looking for are quite common.

I'm not sure where you are located, but you could check with a local lumber mill. Also, you might stop by a local cabinet-maker's shop and ask where they purchase their hardwoods from. They don't normally buy from Lowe's or Home Depot. HA! HA!

At a lumber mill, you'll be able to purchase 4/4 or, or preferably 6/4 rough-sawn. They'll generally plane it down to the thickness you desire (for a small fee).

If there are multiple lumber mills for you to choose from, I'd suggest buying from one that stores their lumber in a climate-controlled area.

actually for a body he'll want to start with 8/4 as its closesest to 2" planed. Most mills charge alot more then a cabinet maker as well to do things like plaining.

and SWAMP ash is not easy to find at all. Sometimes its also called Black ash. What your thinking of is regular white ash. witch is from a different type of tree or different location of the cut, generally is heavier. Although not a bad body wood, it wont have the same properties as the swamp ash hes looking for.

actually for a body he'll want to start with 8/4 as its closesest to 2" planed. Most mills charge alot more then a cabinet maker as well to do things like plaining.

and SWAMP ash is not easy to find at all. Sometimes its also called Black ash. What your thinking of is regular white ash. witch is from a different type of tree or different location of the cut, generally is heavier. Although not a bad body wood, it wont have the same properties as the swamp ash hes looking for.

He originally asked about 1" wood, which is 4/4. And, I'm not thinking of white ash, I'm thinking of swamp ash. I understand he's not looking to fabricate a baseball bat. As far as availability, of course it depends on location, but should be available in many parts of the U.S./Canada.

NP about body blank thickness, Desopolis.

I'm currently located in Indiana. During the past 17 years, have lived in Montana, Illinois, & Florida, too. I've used it a few times at each location, and it was always on hand. I would normally expect that here in the midwest region.

It's also been my experience that people in a hardwood trade such as lumber mills, cabinet-makers, furntiure builders, luthiers, etc know what swamp ash, white ash, & mountain ash are. The main differences are weight & some coloration, as well as growth location.