Best Wood

Link no worky.

There is no 'best wood'. Several of us will have favourites, and more or less objective reasons as to why, but at the end of the day it's up to you. Limba, Ash, Alder, Mahogany, Basswood, Poplar, Maple, Padauk, Purpleheart, Walnut, Cherry, Bubinga, Rosewood, Ebony, Sapele, Khaya, Cedrella, Wester Red Cedar, Spruce, Ziricote, Bocote, Zebrano...most all of this stuff will work well for an instrument, very much depending on what kind of instrument you want to build...

sorry bout the link here it is http://www.afttimbers.com/products.htm, no frills, no thrills, but it works

and sorry for posting the same question twice...im an idiot. if wood depends on style, i want to build a Dean ML shape and i want it to sound heavy but i want it fairly light any input appreciated

whatever link you posted is bad...

personally, I would try and check out your local hardwood dealer before buying online.

chances are you can find a better deal there.

I tend to look online for the high figured woods, witch seam harder to find locally.

If you add luthier to wood, it seams to magically go up in value. mainly because they machine it to standard sizes and plane it. But that took me no time at all..

I have no Idea what your building, be it a Bass, a guitar, or what your plans are.

Im guessing your fairly new to woodworking, so Id start with somthing cheaper so if/when you cut something wrong, its not very expensive.

Alder, Poplar, and Basswood are commonly recommended.

With that said, my first guitar used swamp ash with quilted maple, then the neck was made of Padauk, maple, and mahogany. I learned alot, and although I used nice, expensive wood, Its pretty much worthless to me now as far as the quality I require for myself, and I wish I built one super simple first.

I wont even get into Tonewood yet until I know your plans.

Edited by Desopolis

o its not an online store, its in melbourne, about an hour and a half away and seeing as i can't get the link to work i guess ill just put up all the woods they have

AFRICAN MAHOGANY

AFRICAN ROSEWOOD

AFRICAN WALNUT

AFRORMOSIA

AMERICAN BEECH

AMERICAN BLACK WALNUT

AMERICAN ROCK MAPLE

AMERICAN WHITE OAK

AMOORA

ASH - AMERICAN WHITE

ASH-SILVER*

ASH-VICTORIAN

BLACK BEAN

BLACK HEART SASSAFRAS

BLACKWOOD AUSTRALIA

BOLLY SILKWOOD

BRAZILIAN WALNUT

BRAZILIAN WHITE PINE.

BRUSH BOX

BUBINGA

BURMESE PADAUK

CELERY TOP PINE

CHERRY AFRICAN(Makore)

CHERRY AMERICAN

CINNAMON WOOD

CYPRESS PINE ENGLISH

CYPRESS

DAKUA - MAKADRE

DALLI

DAMAR MINYAK

DARK BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD*

DURIAN

EASTERN MAHOGANY

EBONY

ELM-AMERICAN GREY

ELM-AMERICAN RED

EUROPEAN BEECH

EUROPEAN OAK

GERONGGANG

HOOP PINE

HUON PINE.

IROKO

ISLAND KAURI - PODO

JARRAH

JELUTONG

KAPUR

KARRI

KAUDAMU

KAURI

KAURI(Myths)

KAUVULA

KING WILLIAM PINE

KOTO

LEATHERWOOD

MAHOGANY GUM

LOOKING FOR MAHOGANY OR A MAHOGANY TYPE?

MAHOGANY SAPELE.

MAPLE QUEENSLAND

MELUNAK

MERANTI

MERBAU-KWILA

MESSMATE

NEW GUINEA BASSWOOD

NEW GUINEA ROSEWOOD

NEW GUINEA WALNUT

NYATOH

OAK- ASIAN*

OBECHE

PACIFIC ASH

PANGA- EAST AFRICAN WENGE

PARANA PINE

PENCIL CEDAR

PELAWAN / � NORTHERN BOX�

PERUVIAN WALNUT

PUTTS PINE

QUEENSLAND WALNUT

RADIATA PINE

RED CEDAR

RED BOX

RED GUM

RED IRON BARK

RIMU

ROSE ALDER

ROSE MAHOGANY

RUMPOLE KAURI

SATIN SYCAMORE

SEPETIR*

HEAVY - SERAYA

SILKY OAK

SILVER QUANDONG

SILVER WATTLE

SOUTH AMERICAN (HONDURAS) MAHOGANY

SOUTH AMERICAN MYRTLE

SUGAR PINE

SWIETENIA MAHOGANY

TASMANIAN MYRTLE

TAUN

TEAK

TERMINALIA

VITEX

WAU BEECH

WHITE BEECH

WHITE CHEESEWOOD

YELLOW PINE

G'day,

This is a furniture wood store, and while there may be some woods that may be good for guitars, a brief browse showed most woods are under 6" wide, which means 3 piece bodies, or small 2 piece bodies.

Where in Melbourne are you? Although I haven't been there yet, I hear that Matthews timber in Vermont is very good.

Cheers,

Brian :D

It's all personal choice with timbers. Although I've got a soft spot for homegrown stuff. (Blackwood, Tas.myrtle, sheoak, Qld maple, wandoo etc. the list goes on........ :D )

As far as that list from AFT timbers goes, I'm not too sure how many on that list they still have stock of.

I tend to frequent Mathews timbers a bit. No complaints there. Not as much of a range as their website stipulates but still very good quality stuff.

You'll probably find extra info from your/our home shores woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au

There are many internet based stores around oz for sourcing timber from. And there are some great ones in W.A. worth checking out for your homegrown stuff. More info if interested.

cheers, Stu

:D

i think rhoads sells wood blanks...rhoads56 on this board

he is in australia

but to answer your question...the best woods in my opinion are straight grained mahogany or maple for the neck,alder or mahogany for the body,and ebony or pau ferro for the fretboard....

they are right with the "personal choice" thing...but i find these woods to please the ears of most people i know

by the way...now that i am in a better service area and my internet does not kick me off

i fixed your link...again...you make the same mistake every time...you write "post" where you should write "url"

instead of typing out the link by hand,why don't you insert the link into the linking software at the top of the reply box?

if wood depends on style, i want to build a Dean ML shape and i want it to sound heavy but i want it fairly light any input appreciated

if that is the case,i personally would build it with a mahogany neck and an alder body...but i would make it a neck thru instead of a set neck like the original,because it is very difficult to get a proper heel on that body style with a set neck...plus the mahogany extending through the body will help balance the instrument.

in my opinion,that wood combination is underutilized...it combines for a very warm,yet crisp tone

ebony or pau ferro fretboard...and if you are using a trem,use a floyd original for a sharper "attack"

all opinion...but that is why you asked,because you want an opinion...i think you should stay away from the more expensive woods on your first build...especially when the old standards tend to sound better anyway imo

thankyou all for your help and input, i would try that matthews place but its a 4 hour trip because i am 1 and a half hours away from melbourne in the opposite direction, mahogany nech with an alder body was what i was gonna go for, i have a floyd rose trem sitting here so thats all good, i would still rather it be a bolt on than a nexk thru seeing as its my first build and...i really dont know how nor do i really like them, tho i will think about the idea if i cant get the right wood or something, once again thankyou