Individual Coils

Svento

Not that I'm interested in winding pickups for anyone, but I'm wondering about the logistics of your proposition. What guage wire, resistance, and coil style are you looking for? Also, adjustable polepieces or magnet polepieces? If you're going for a strat or tele shaped coil, it's doable. However, if you want a p90 style coil that's short and fat, it can't be done without a ridiculous string spacing. Hope you're willing to pay a pretty penny for this because I doubt many people will come out of the woodwork to do this. Be cautious about anyone willing to do it for really cheap, because there may be a reason they're charging so little. Honestly, if I wanted a custom made pickup done correctly, I'd approach a boutique builder who's guaranteed to do it right and not walk off with my money. Sure it costs a bit more, but I'd say it's worth the peace of mind.

peace,

russ

What kind of physics background do you have? If you're going where I think you're going with this concept, you're getting into the territory where calculations may show a more appreciable difference than what you hear. Has this been shown to have a noticeable difference on output and the sound of said output before?

I'm still not understanding what you mean by the pickup not being able to pick up horizontal movements of the string. The Hall Effect isn't determined by horizontal or vertical movements. It just "senses" or generates electricity when a metal object moves in the field.

That gibson idea for a digital guitar featured a bridge pickup system that attempted to sense vibrations of the string in different directions. I have some idea why on a violin, such way of picking up vibrations could be an advantage (the bow does strange things to the vibration of the string, as it rests upon it, unlike a plucked instrument where the vibrations are free to take a fairly orbital action), but piezo's are probably a better option.

This really isn't a pickup making forum, and I still am not sure if I understand your intention in the design, how it is to be done, or the expected results from it. Some kind of diagram could be useful.

I have done a bit of work with the sustainer thread with using very small coils that could be arranged in various ways to pickup different vibrations, it would be pretty experimental...but I could not vouch for the sound of such devices as used as a pickup...certainly they pickup vibrations that can be amplified, but electromagnetic pickups all impart a sound of their own based on their construction, magnetics and their interaction with the amplification...

pete

Listen svento, I believe you are in the wrong place. You would probably be better off googling for some boutique pickup builders. We are(mostly) hobbyists here. Our interests are in how things are made, what they are made from, and what purpose they serve. That last part is probably the biggest interest of anyone who would even consider building a pickup for you. Furthermore, anyone who's going to be nice enough to build a pickup for you at an affordable rate will want you to be equally nice and explain at least a bit of the theory behind it if for no other reason than for them to feel "in the know." You're hostile, abbreviated, and ambiguous...none of these things will get you anywhere here(if you're wondering about the abbreviated part, just go check out psw's monster of a thread :D ).

EDIT: winding pickups is a fairly simple process and requires little research if you know the specifications of your pickups. While it's not something I would do if I had a boat load of pickups to wind, I've had success winding pickups with little more than a variable speed hand drill, multimeter, sandpaper, and vinyl sealer to recoat the sanded wire.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

I'm still not understanding what you mean by the pickup not being able to pick up horizontal movements of the string. The Hall Effect isn't determined by horizontal or vertical movements. It just "senses" or generates electricity when a metal object moves in the field.
Why do I need to explain this? I play violin and I've tried different kinds of PU:s. Others have too and they've made experiments. To pick bowed tones (where the strings don't move much vertically) the PU must be optimized to pick vertical string movements. No coil must cross two strings.Individual coils placed between the strings. I'm not particularly interested in the theory behind it. This is how it works and I'm in a need for a PU. Guitar type constructions don't work.

Once again: I'M TRUELY SORRY HAVING THE BAD TASTE OF BRINGING THIS SUBJECT UP. PLEASE GO BOTHER SOMEONE ELSE. I JUST WANT TO FIND SOMEONE TO MAKE A PU FOR ME. CASE CLOSED.

With that kind of attitude, I seriously doubt that you're going to find anyone that wants to do anything for YOU.

:D

What a strange post...and now all his posts have been deleted, could have been an interesting discussion from which we could all learn a little, but it was not to be alas...

Thanks crafty for at least quoting enough for future people that come across this thread to get the jist of the approach Svento made on this forum.

Once again: I'M TRUELY SORRY HAVING THE BAD TASTE OF BRINGING THIS SUBJECT UP. PLEASE GO BOTHER SOMEONE ELSE. I JUST WANT TO FIND SOMEONE TO MAKE A PU FOR ME. CASE CLOSED.

very odd... pete