What Exactly Is The Neck Finish On A Ebmm Axis

Timius

Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil. Not sure about the wax.

How much? However much it takes to attain the desired finish. You can actually built Tru-oil up to a very nice shine. I use small pads of t-shirt material (actually, they are gun cleaning swatches from wal-mart) to apply many many many very thin coats.

I really love the way these necks feel. What does EBMM use. I know it's a combo of gunstock oil and wax. What types, how much, and how do yo uput it on?

Any info would be great!

Thanks

Hi Timius,

I'm a newbie here but have had an Axis Sport since they stopped doing that fugly scratchplate...

As Primal said, the Tru-Oil is from Birchwood-Casey, as is the wax (product number 23723 -PSW from http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html ). When I got my Axis, the head techie at the UK Distributor told me that EBMM use 0000 gauge wire wool to rub in the oil first, then once nicely applied they use a clean, lint free cloth to apply wax to seal it in. Once that's done and dried, apply a light coat of oil so the neck doesn't feel sticky.

Seems to have worked for me!

Hope that helps,

Neil

I really love the way these necks feel. What does EBMM use. I know it's a combo of gunstock oil and wax. What types, how much, and how do yo uput it on?

Any info would be great!

Thanks

Hi Timius,

I'm a newbie here but have had an Axis Sport since they stopped doing that fugly scratchplate...

As Primal said, the Tru-Oil is from Birchwood-Casey, as is the wax (product number 23723 -PSW from http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html ). When I got my Axis, the head techie at the UK Distributor told me that EBMM use 0000 gauge wire wool to rub in the oil first, then once nicely applied they use a clean, lint free cloth to apply wax to seal it in. Once that's done and dried, apply a light coat of oil so the neck doesn't feel sticky.

Seems to have worked for me!

Hope that helps,

Neil

Neil and Primal,

Thanks a ton! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Going to start the tru-oil process this weekend.

The neck has frets all ready. I'm going to apply the tru-oil as recommended above (ooo steel wool/wax/ooo steel wool). Should i not really worry about the frets and then clean it off the frets before it dries?

Any suggestions would be great.

I'd probably just completely finish the neck, then take some steel wool to the frets afterwards rather than wiping the frets off after each application. Use some masking tape to keep the steel wool from marring the finish on the fretboard (since polishing the frets requires you to make strokes against the grain of the fretboard).