Solid Body to Hollow-body

I have this strange idea for a project. I've been reading up on different things and I think I want to start working on/building guitars. So far, I've only messed with electronics and wiring. I want to take one of the ibanez AX style guitars like this one . Anyway, here's my idea- I want to route out the top and get it as close to hollow as I can. Then, I want to put a new top on it (probably flame maple or quilt) with carved f-holes, and reassemble and re-paint it. Will this work? Also, what kind of bridge should I use (I obviously can't use a string-thru).

thanks.

Why not a string through? All you have to do is keep the original integrity of the center solid.

You may want to concider purchasing a trim router bit and start out by making a template of the original top and cavities. Then find a good planner and shave the top off before you route out the insides to hollow it out. Of course with the F-hole design you will see the inside of the electronics cavity some unless your good at hiding the wires but with the top planned off it would be a lot easier to put a nice solid cap on it.

From there you can simply take your template and refinish the pickup cavitys using your trim router bit again since the bottom of them would still be intact under the new cap.

Actually, I was thinking of ditching the figured top idea, so the back routing might work out. Also, could I keep the control cavity intact as well, leaving only a small hole for the wires and go with one f-hole on the left side? What about a custom f-hole design with one in the lower left corner and one near the right upper horn?