The Telezipper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, thats a scarf joint how did you cut it with it being a neck through?? did you use a mitre saw??

Thanks

Scab

It really would have been much easier if I did that cut before putting all the parts together. But yes, I used a mitre saw with a telescopic arm, if the mitre saw is what I think it is.

saw.jpg

And lots of rolling and fitting of the guitar because of the angle limit of 45 degrees!

Edited by jazzclub

yeah, i started a project like that and I ran into TONS of problems.. I couldn't get the joint in needed, b/c the mitre saw i was working with.. Looks like it worked out great for you.. Great Job!!

Scab

Yeah that japanese saw would be awesome. I have to get one someday when I have a little extra cash.

Anyway...

I ran into another problem when I figured out that I don't have any holes for the wires. I was again too enthusiastic doing all the gluing without routing the channels for the wires first. So here's my solution:

PIC00029.jpg

I made a drill bit myself from an iron rod. I just filed a simple head to the rod and there it was.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/jazzi...bi/PIC00031.jpg

Of course it burned the wood (you can see some rust on the head) but it was the best choice I had. Actually it came out pretty well.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/jazzi...bi/PIC00026.jpg

The hardest hole was the hole to the neck pickup cavity. The hole starts from the upper hole you can see. I just had to guess where the hole would go and I hesitated when I was in the middle of "the journey". But I carried on and...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/jazzi...bi/PIC00023.jpg

Some times I feel lucky... The other start of a hole in the mahogany is there because I was first going to drill from that to the other pickup cavity.

Edited by Maiden69

Santaclaus came by and brought me some parts

PIC00034.jpg

The fretboard is made of something called Sonocilini (don't ask), it's supposed to be some sort of rosewood but it's a bit softer. The company I got these stuff claims that many guitar manufacturers use this wood in the fretboards because of its better availability. The fretmark dots was white plastic so I wanted to change them to MOP dots by myself. Easy job. And the frets had to be done myself too. Little harder job but not so hard because the slots were already made.

The truss rod is a 2-way working. All hardware is golden. And the candies were great!!! This company always put some candies along. That's why I order from there!! I already had the machineheads so they are not in that picture. The parts in the picture cost me about 110 euros. That's about 147 US dollars. The machineheads would have cost the most but I got them free changing pickups for my friend.

PIC00033.jpg

In this picture half of the fretheads are sanded with the fret bevel tool I got instruction from projectguitar.com. The dots are also changed (couldn't say from the picture).

I made a headstock template based on the headstock of the earlier guitar I have made...

9.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/jazzi...bi/PIC00050.jpg

...and it came up like this

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/jazzi...bi/PIC00049.jpg

The holes of the screws are right in the middle of the holes for the machineheads so they didn't do any harm

Edited by Maiden69

Anyway...

I ran into another problem when I figured out that I don't have any holes for the wires. I was again too enthusiastic doing all the gluing without routing the channels for the wires first. So here's my solution:

LOL. That's happened to me also. But luckily it was a short run for a bridge pickup in my lapsteel.

But luckily there seems to be solutions for the most part. Yours worked.

Carry on with the sawdust.

Words cannot express how cool I think your headstock (the one in the "finished" picture example) is!

As for the various colours of wood... meh. I think it looks fine. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy because of school but I got the fretboard finally glued on. I used some epoxy that gave me about 2 hours of working time with the target. So I had enough time to get the fretboard clamped properly. And oh boy was it slippery!

PIC00054.jpg

After all the fretboard settled down just right.

Nice Build you got going there. On the first fingerboard I glued down, I read a tip here that said to shoot 2 staples into the neck, one at each end along side the truss rod channel. You snip them back so all that remains is 2 sharp little pins, align the fingerboard an simply tap down. its locked in place and wont slide around for glueing up. -Vinny

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! It's been a long time since I've done anything about the guitar. But I pulled myself together and shaped the back of the guitar. By sanding of course.

PIC00059.jpg

PIC00058.jpg

I'm especially happy with the neck joint or heel (what do you call it). It gives a very easy access to the last fret. I put the cavitycovers on before starting the shaping so they would follow the shape all the way.