Hummmm

Sethmetal

I have been assembling an Ibanez RG570 from spare parts. I wired the pickups like they should be. All the coil tapping works, but I get hum in 2 positions.

Position 1, Bridge series hums

Position 2, Inner Bridge and middle single coil hums

Position 3 Hums, but that is because it is a single coil

Position 4 half neck and middle in parallel No hum

Position 5 Neck Series No hum

I have also run into this same kind of hum when coil tapping two humbuckers together.

How can this be fixed.?

hi Sethmetal,

to get hum-canceling when in-phase, you need 1 "north" coil and one "south".

that explains the issue with splitting 2 HBs and using them together.

to fix that, you can wire ONE of the 2 HBs a little differently:

http://guitarnuts2.proboards45.com/index.c...ge=1#1155342546

for the problem on the HSH, i'm a little puzzled.

on an HSH, you want the split HB coils to have the same polarity as each other, but different from the middle.

are the bridge and neck HBs the same basic type?

i wonder if the one of the coils of the bridge HB is shorted. (only one coil, so no hum-canceling)

and the coil of the bridge HB that is working when split, has the same magnetic polarity as the middle?

i'm doing my best to try to match a possibility with your symptoms, but i might just be grasping at straws.

you should be able to test which coils are working in each position of your switching, by touching the pole-pieces with a screwdriver tip.

you will hear a loud thump in your amp, when the tip touches, if that coil is working. (start with the amp volume VERY low.)

if that coil is not working you might hear a click, but it will be much quieter.

to determine relative polarity, take a small magnet, and carefully allow it to attach itself to the pole-pieces.

test the middle SC first. which ever orientation the magnet is in, when attached to the pole-pieces, we'll call that right-side-up.

the magnet will attach itself upside-down on one set of pole-pieces of the HB, that's the coil you want for hum-canceling with the middle.

good luck, and let me know what (if any) progress you make.

i'll be back on Monday.

l8r,

unk

Edited by unklmickey

As far as the grounding, I definitely grounded it. Is it possible for it to have a bad ground? Where is the best place to ground? I have always used the volume pot with great results.

I find it difficult to distinguish which coil is activated when I tap on them with a screwdriver. They are insuch close proximity. Some pickups, it is easy for me to tell, others not so much.

This guitar has the Ibanez V series pickups.

The bridge definitely has the power of a series humbucker in the first position. It's not 4 conductor, so it's not like I could wire it out of phase, right?

You can definitely have ground problems even if your ground wire is soldered to the back of a pot. It'd be tricky to diagnose over a forum, though, especially for an amateur like me. Whenever I rewire a guitar, though, I make sure I put in a star ground, which means every single ground wire goes to the same place (often a metal washer) before being sent to ground. With only one path to ground, current will always go the "correct" path. You can very easily ensure no ground loops this way.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

I recently assembled a Warmoth guitar - my first one - and designed custom electronics based on what I thought would be cool and versatile.

Basically, I have two humbuckers with a pan pot instead of a switch. My wiring diagram, which I put together from various sources found in the Web, seems to have something wrong: both pickups hum when they're used alone (pan pot set at 0% or 100%) and the hum is cancelled when they are mixed 50%-50%. While this would be normal with single coils, it is not with humbuckers.

I need some advice on what may be wrong. My diagram can be found here: http://www.mosaic-art.ca/diagram.jpg

diagram.jpg

If you want to have a peek at the axe itself (I'm somewhat proud of it), please do so by visiting http://www.mosaic-art.ca/P6240231.JPG

thanks!

Edited by Panfouez