Wood Veneer Inlays

Jon Bell

I'm currently thinking about the inlays on a fretboard I'm working on. Rather than using MOP or abalone could you use wood veneer? I've got a pack of marquetry veneers (about 1mm thick each), could I use these for inlays and if so what finish would it need?

Thanks,

Jon

I've thought about the same thing before. You can use that wood to do what your wanting to do. But you should know that marquetry is where a decorative surface of wood or other substance is glued to an object on a single plane. Unlike inlaying, in which the secondary material is sunk into portions of a solid ground cut out to receive it. The two are different but you can use the wood to do inlays, instead of just gluing it to the guitar neck which might get in the way of playing.. umm just a little bit .. lol So yeah use it if it's the look you want, most people like the look of Abalone, MOP, etc. etc. but that could be used... I say go for it!!!!! And take pictures.. :D

Matt

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

The top is Mcnaught, the bottom an Abstract (Roman) Solo1st. The ebony in maple is a great idea...might do it soon on a guitar...pics will be provided of course

hey not to be a jerk, but I played a show this past weekend with a band who's guitar player had a custom Ed Roman guitar. A nice pearl white strat copy with three single coil Duncan '59s. The only downside was the annoying feedback caused by the pickups when put in distortion mode. He traded a USA Strat and a 2x12 Twin for it a few weeks ago for it to be built, and he got a microphonic guitar. I told him to contact Ed Roman and have it fixed. Sounds like Ed used some bad pickups...and if he wants to maintain his reputation (as good or bad as it is) he should replace them for free.

That why I buy from Guitar Center...30 days of using someone else's stuff and return it for no charge. :D

j/k I keep most of the stuff I buy. And the strat looked sweet, except for the Ed Roman headstock.

I've just had a go at some wood inlays on an old les paul type neck with block inlays. I've cut the wood and it looks great, I'm guessing that the next steps would be glue the wood with some PVA wood glue then sand it flat.

What is the best way to finish it? I'm using an ebony board so the finish would have to be compatible with that.

If your veneer material you want to use for inlays is only 1mm thick, be very careful when sanding the neck down. You risk sanding through the edges of the inlays if the neck is not already radiused.

Common sense (rather than experience...) tells me the best way might be to radius the neck first, then rout the inlay channels (keeping router flush with the radiused neck), then apply the wood inlays (unlike MOP etc, the veneer will flex and follow the radius), then you should be good to sand and go.

• 4 weeks later...