Inverted Hot Rod Truss Rod.

Before i do decide to flip the truss rod upside down I just wanted to see from others if they thought it could possibly be an issue. i know that the screw would have to be turned counterclockwise instead of clockwise to straighten the neck from a downward bow and im not to concerned with that. I decided since i was going to have a floyd rose locking nut and sting tree it would be smarter to probably have this truss rod heel adjustable.

What do you guys think. Is this something that should be avoided? Just want to double check before starting to cut.

heel adjustable is a PITA. Seriously, forget that idea, it really really sux.

The hotrod, installed the standard way (nut at bottom of channel) will easily clear the floyd string tree if you space it right. Even if you dont, removing the string tree is much easier than removing the neck, GUESSING the amount of truss rod adjustment without string tension, etc etc.

Flipping the rod around (heel or h/stock adjust) will not affect how it works, only installing it in the channel the wrong way (correct is nut at bottom of channel) will change the operational direction of the nut.

If you're avoiding having to remove material at the headstock since you'll already be removing a lot for the floyd locking nut attachment screws, why not have it heel adjustable but use a spoke type adjustment instead of an allen adjustment so the strings can stay on while adjusting the rod?

Installing the HotRod upside down makes a big difference if you are using a Fender-style, non-angled headstock, so you don't have to cut away a huge amount of the headstock wood. The reverse direction adjustment isn't a big issue for me, since I am the only one that will be adjusting it on my guitars at this point. (Besides, if you start adjusting and the neck moves the wrong way, wouldn't you just go the other direction??? Not hard to figure out. If someone is dumb enough to keep cranking it the wrong way until something breaks, they shouldn't be near a truss rod anyway.) I will keep doing it that way until I can convince Stew-Mac to build a reverse thread version (or start making my own).

If you are going to install the rod with the adjustment at the body end, there is no reason to install it upside down. It doesn't buy you anything. But I would never build a guitar that way anyway ... definitely a PITA. The spoke-type heel adjustment IS one possibility ... if you don't mind the look of the exposed nut.

Thanks for all the info.

Well I am building a 5150 style guitar. I always liked the way it looks and want to do it myself. The 5150 was heel adjusted with a notch at the end of the neck to adjust it with. However I would much prefer a headstock adjustment. I already bought the allen nut rod so I would prefer to use this one if possible. Im trying to make an ok guitar but for a first guitar I dont expect perfection. This is something that ive already been working on for 4 months and have the body cut out and rounded over. I have the wood for the neck with enough to actually make 4 necks if i screw up.

I just think for the sake of making life easy head adjustment is the way to go. I probably should pick up the floyd nut so that i can have those dimensions before i go ahead with this but then again I do have enough wood for 4 necks. Its just making up my mind on what to do with this rod is holding me up.

I have put them in upside down before, once without realising :D

I usually end up putting a little note under the truss rod cover if i am doing this, you never know who is going to be repairing it and a little rolled up note that needs to be moved out the way first should help save a broken neck.

• 17 years later...

I built all of my T and S-type neck with the 2-way rod upside-down. Not a single guitar has ever come back with a broken neck or even a complaint from the buyer because the rod had to be adjusted "the wrong way." I never had to force a rod to straighten a bow or even go too far off slack to get the job done. So, to me, the issue of right or wrong is moot. Just put it in the user manual which way the adjustment goes; that's all it takes.