Build That Looks Like.....

A Zachary design. I just look at the guitars and draw out free hand what I see. So obviously this is not a direct replica of the Zach guitar.

There are various woods involved in this build, some may be considered not the usual choices.

The neck is maple/rosewood, 25 1/2' scale - 22 frets.

The body is basically three layer plys of different woods. The back is 3/4" laminated mahogany (ribbon grain). The middle ply consists of 3 1/4" (3/4" thickness) purpleheart in the centre (this my soundboard, the neck is attached to this) with 3/4" pine on the wings. The top ply is 1/2" oak laminated for width. This top layer also has the grain running diagonally, while the other 2 layer are vertically inline with the neck. The body is also some what chambered.

The stand is also one of the style of stands I make for my guitars.

guitarbuildzhs5.jpg

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1857/guitarbuildz2nz3.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3563/guitarbuildz3lm3.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4304/guitarbuildz4li2.jpg

Will post more pics as the project progresses. :D

I think I may posted this in the wrong section. Should have been Work In Progress.

Edited by MCH

Looks good - I've actually been wondering about that design. You mentioned having drawn it out "freehand"? Do you have any sense of how yours compares in dimensions to the Zachary body?

Also, what sort of bolts did you use for the neck? Are they going into inserts or just wood?

Regards,

Rob

Looks good - I've actually been wondering about that design. You mentioned having drawn it out "freehand"? Do you have any sense of how yours compares in dimensions to the Zachary body?

Also, what sort of bolts did you use for the neck? Are they going into inserts or just wood?

Regards,

Rob

I don't know how the dimensions compare to Zachary's build. But I can say the size I came up with, is very comfortable and balances well. I'm a couch potatoe guitarist; I usually sit and play. This shape nestles very nicely in my lap with a good neck angle. I have a Godin Exit22 that is not nearly as comfortable playing sitting as is this guitar shape.

The bolts I use are what I call cabinet bolts. I build furniture as a hobby also and am familiar with their use. These bolts utilize a bolt with a nice wide head (more area for pressure) and a barrel nut that is embedded by drilling an access channel in the side of the neck for the barrel nut. The entry hole is capped off with a wood plug. I think this is a superior method for a very tight and strong coupling of the neck to the guitar body. The danger with threaded screws is possible splitting if the screw is over torqued (especially maple being a hardwood) and also the screw hole can be become stripped if the neck is removed multiple time. Plus the screw will not have as much coupling pressure as the bolt system will. I've used this system in my Mockingbird build and like it very much.

I hope this helped. :D

The actual woodworking is my weakest point of a build so I ask this for knowledge, not to critique. Why would you use that Purpleheart layer (piece)? It sounds like you are using it to couple the sound from the body to the neck and/or vice versa. I know in metalurgy, dissimilar metals touching is not a preferred situation. Wouldn't you want the same, or at least more similar, wood together. I may simply be unware of the properties of the woods used and you do have very similar woods together. Purpleheart seems to me to be used predominatly for asthetics over sound characteristics. Enlighten me please.

Peace...Rog

The actual woodworking is my weakest point of a build so I ask this for knowledge, not to critique. Why would you use that Purpleheart layer (piece)? It sounds like you are using it to couple the sound from the body to the neck and/or vice versa. I know in metalurgy, dissimilar metals touching is not a preferred situation. Wouldn't you want the same, or at least more similar, wood together. I may simply be unware of the properties of the woods used and you do have very similar woods together. Purpleheart seems to me to be used predominatly for asthetics over sound characteristics. Enlighten me please.

Peace...Rog

I'm not an expert by any means. Maple is a hardwood which is considered to have a bright tone. Purpleheart is also hardwood with very similar brightness tone as maple. My Godin Exit22 is a solid body mahogany guitar with a maple/rosewood neck. Godin guitars are quite highly rated. I think there are a lot of builds that have different combination of woods; that don't suffer in tone. Personally I think most tone in electric guitars come from the pickups and amps coupled with the style of playing. I've heard mentioned quite often that tone is in the fingers and the soul. JMHO.

I don't know how the dimensions compare to Zachary's build. But I can say the size I came up with, is very comfortable and balances well. I'm a couch potatoe guitarist; I usually sit and play. This shape nestles very nicely in my lap with a good neck angle. I have a Godin Exit22 that is not nearly as comfortable playing sitting as is this guitar shape.

The bolts I use are what I call cabinet bolts. I build furniture as a hobby also and am familiar with their use. These bolts utilize a bolt with a nice wide head (more area for pressure) and a barrel nut that is embedded by drilling an access channel in the side of the neck for the barrel nut. The entry hole is capped off with a wood plug. I think this is a superior method for a very tight and strong coupling of the neck to the guitar body. The danger with threaded screws is possible splitting if the screw is over torqued (especially maple being a hardwood) and also the screw hole can be become stripped if the neck is removed multiple time. Plus the screw will not have as much coupling pressure as the bolt system will. I've used this system in my Mockingbird build and like it very much.

I hope this helped. :D

Very cool. It struck me as a design with good balance in the sitting position. How's the weight of the guitar?

And, thanks for the information on the cabinet bolts. You've heard about Zachary's three guitars from a $15 Ikea top? I wonder if that's what he's using in his guitars since they appear very similar. I hadn't thought of them for neck attachment but I like idea.

A quick update on this build. I spent quite few hours trying to make pickup rings that satisfied me. The problem I was having is that the pickups I'm using; GFS Lil Killers are designed for Strats with the pickup guard plates. I think I've finally solved the problem. Once I get the pickup cavities routed out I'll post some update pics. I'm getting anxious to finish this build.

Thinking of a lapsteel as a next project. LOL. It never seems to end.

I like it a lot, as well. I noticed that the waist on the treble side is lowered which gives it the great neck position when sitting. That along with the enlarged bass side lower bout to rest your arm on probably makes it very comfortable. It appears to have similiar balance points like Robert's Klein clone from the waist down. Nice design overall. Daring to be different is great to me.

Some update pics. I have the cavities routed out. The bridge is temporarily placed to get the correct placement for intonation. The guitar so far is quite lite. I haven't weighed it though. Now I have to figure out the stain colour.

guitarbuildzazl8.jpg

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4736/gu...buildz2aai6.jpg

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3298/gu...buildz3agu9.jpg

Have started my stain stage. I'm using a Min Wax Sedona Red. I think this may be the colour I'm looking for. If it's too red I may look at adding a light coat of Red Chestnut. This stage can be the break or make, for the final look of the guitar. Hopefully my decision will make me happy.

In all my years of crafting with wood the final outcome is like heralding in the birth of a new family member; you get what you get and are pleased with whatever happens. LOL :D

A quick update. I've almost finished this build. Still waiting for black volume knobs. I have GFS Lil Killers for pickups. Three push/pull volume pots for series and parallel. Three on/off switches. No tone controls. It's finished with pseudo tung oil. I'll wait another week or so and then buff it up a little more with some paste wax.

guitarbuildz5ld4.jpg

That looks lovely. Did you end up going with the straight Minwax Sedona Red?

Regards,

Rob

Yes, that is what I used. I like the richness of that red. Will start to use it in some of my furniture projects.

Waiting for my Kiwi Cordivan or Mahogany shoe polish to do the final wax buffing. I discovered with some of my speaker builds this worked great. Especially with open pored woods such as oak. The coloured wax does not leave off coloured residue in the pores. The Kiwi has carnuba and buffs up to a very nice silky smooth finish with a very rich looking luster. This may not be a standard method, but it works great for me.

• 3 months later...

The shape isn't horrible, but something about the armrest-area "bout" has always seemed out of place to me with that design. It's a bit oversized or something... hard to identify....

On the whole, I don't really like the aesthetic of the shape much, but it obviously spoke to you (hence, doing a tribute to it), so that's enough for anyone. :D

But in any event, lookin' good.