2nd Build - 36" Scale 4 String Bass

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 36" scale one is definitely one of the coolest basses I've seen!!! :D :D Man, I'm REALLY waiting for you to get it finished!

believe me, me too!! I don't know much about wiring so the electronics may take a little long while I read and research.......probably another week before I start that.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, nice looking finish. Makes me re-think whether I need to lacquer my guitar. What was your process for the tru-oil? How many coats, when did you sand, what grits, what did you buff with, etc?...

I applied the first coat fairly thick and rubbed it in good. I then applied coats every 2 - 4 hours alternating sides. Every 2 or 3 coats I buffed it out with 000 steel wool. It was all rubbed on with a cotton shop rag. You can really watch and control what your doing with the Tru-oil. You just have to make sure it doesn't run anywhere, but even then you can sand and refinish if needed. I'd say it has about 15 to 20 coats on it.

So when do we get to see the finished product on your sons short scale? I'm looking forward to seeing how the tru-oil turned out on the walnut. I'm contemplating the same finish on my walnut guitar.

I'm waiting on a new bridge, since he wanted to go with a flat board, and the schaller bridge we had is radiused. I'll take a shot tonight of the finish and with the pickup installed.

Played it for a long time last night, I think I'm going to need to file down the bridge saddles a little because I can't quite get the action as low as I would like. Other than that, this thing is awesome! the 36" scale makes the strings tight and very responsive..........I also need to give huge kudos to the Nordstrand Dual coil pickups........I love them! I'm trying to get my mac back up and running and when I do I'll get some sound clips........

i liked the lower horn but the upper one is a bit ...O.O