2nd Build - 36" Scale 4 String Bass

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are some extremely nice looking instruments.

I am just getting started into guitar making, but I can see the great deal of work that has gone into these.

Awesome wood selections too. I never thought Walnut could look so good with an oil finish.

Wow, nice looking finish. Makes me re-think whether I need to lacquer my guitar. What was your process for the tru-oil? How many coats, when did you sand, what grits, what did you buff with, etc?...

I applied the first coat fairly thick and rubbed it in good. I then applied coats every 2 - 4 hours alternating sides. Every 2 or 3 coats I buffed it out with 000 steel wool. It was all rubbed on with a cotton shop rag. You can really watch and control what your doing with the Tru-oil. You just have to make sure it doesn't run anywhere, but even then you can sand and refinish if needed. I'd say it has about 15 to 20 coats on it.

I do need to do another steelwool rub and maybe another coat of tru-oil. The flash from the camera shows some strange looking orangepeel like effect that you can't see or find with your naked eye..........

I think you can wet sand Tru-Oil but you use the oil as a lubricant rather than water. otherwise I'm sure you could Micro-Mesh it.

I hadn't heard of that. I've heard of sanding using Tru-Oil as a lubricant for the first layer of oil. Apparently the sanding dust mixed with the oil fills the pores.

cheers,

Brian.

For my Tru-Oil finish I wetsanded using the micromesh finishing abrasives soaked in a mixture of water and Murphy's Oil soap. I believe it was in the instructions that came with the micro mesh that said to do that, I soaked the abrasives overnight, then wetsanded in the morning. It turned out great, left if feeling perfectly smooth and shiny. After the wetsanding I wiped on 2 very very thin coats of tru-oil which needed no more sanding. The end result to me is more like a painted finish than an oil finish.

Oh, I did use steel wool in between every few coats for a while until I built up enough of the oil to do the wetsanding.

http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_gallery.php...anceid=59519466

For my Tru-Oil finish I wetsanded using the micromesh finishing abrasives soaked in a mixture of water and Murphy's Oil soap. I believe it was in the instructions that came with the micro mesh that said to do that, I soaked the abrasives overnight, then wetsanded in the morning. It turned out great, left if feeling perfectly smooth and shiny. After the wetsanding I wiped on 2 very very thin coats of tru-oil which needed no more sanding. The end result to me is more like a painted finish than an oil finish.

Oh, I did use steel wool in between every few coats for a while until I built up enough of the oil to do the wetsanding.

There is just too much info in this forum :D !!!!!!

How am I supposed to soak it all in before I start my own project? I already ordered my copy of Melvin's book as it seems the logical way.

I never thought that an oil finish could look so shiny and sharp. Great looking bass Manquesa. Now I have to figure out what they call tru-oil here in Spain :D

Later.

There is just too much info in this forum B) !!!!!!

How am I supposed to soak it all in before I start my own project? I already ordered my copy of Melvin's book as it seems the logical way.

I never thought that an oil finish could look so shiny and sharp. Great looking bass Manquesa. Now I have to figure out what they call tru-oil here in Spain :D

Later.

Well, it has taken me a year of reading this forum (along with Melvyn's book and a couple other forums) to really start to soak it all in. And there is still plenty to learn!

I'm loving the walnut bass, Digs. Oh, and happy bday! :D

CMA

There is just too much info in this forum B) !!!!!!

Later.

Well, it has taken me a year of reading this forum (along with Melvyn's book and a couple other forums) to really start to soak it all in. And there is still plenty to learn!

I'm loving the walnut bass, Digs. Oh, and happy bday! :D

CMA

Thanks for the bday wish!.............Yeah, these are me second and third builds and I spent 8 months reading books and the internet before I built my first.........it's fun and rewarding. I played the desert sunrise bass last night at practice for 4 hours and love it! It'll see it's first show in July and 4 gigs in August........can't wait!