Raw Telecaster Project

Hello!

I attend the natural science program at a school and in the third and last grade before graduating you have to do a project. I was going to make a tube amp (Physics) at first but I wasn't so sure I was ready to jump in with high voltage stuff so I decided I would make a guitar. Alot of physics involved in a guitar as well!

But anyways, the reason I start this thread so soon is I want to be prepared for the project and get some input from you guys.

I want to build a Telecaster. I want it to be as old school as possible but with a few minor twists.

Heres what I've had in mind so far:

Wilkinson 3-saddle bridge with adjustable brass saddles

22-fret neck with a little more meat on it to fit my hands, maple with maple fretboard.

Alder body

Trussrod with spokewheel at the body for easier adjustment, I would route a cavity so you can access that without removing the neck.

No staining, paint or whatsoever, just cellulose lacquer or maybe oil?

Maybe modify the neck pocket to something smoother and a little less "blocky".

Haven't come up with anything else at the moment. I want it to look as clean and raw as possible and be all about the tone. Thats where I still can't decide If I'm going to wind my own pickups (the physics part!).

I chose this really clean and raw style (I thinks its pretty raw) because I think its cool and It will be a bit easier If I don't go all out with fancy woods and stuff.

What do you think? Anything you would do differently?

Go ahead and comment my thoughts! What would yo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cellulose Lacquer is paint. Thin finish is a nice. Many people really like the feel of oil, and it is a nice easy finish(as long as your prep work is done well).

Haven't come up with anything else at the moment. I want it to look as clean and raw as possible and be all about the tone. Thats where I still can't decide If I'm going to wind my own pickups (the physics part!).

Physics, look over your guitar it is all about physics. Look at the strings, tuners, bridge, body and neck. It is a Mass Spring Damper system-link. As far as winding your own PU's check your available time and if it fits in your schedule go for it. Never hurts to learn as much as you can. Just watch your time constraints if it is a school project.

Good luck with your project.

Peace,Rich

Cellulose Lacquer is paint. Thin finish is a nice. Many people really like the feel of oil, and it is a nice easy finish(as long as your prep work is done well).

Physics, look over your guitar it is all about physics. Look at the strings, tuners, bridge, body and neck. It is a Mass Spring Damper system-link. As far as winding your own PU's check your available time and if it fits in your schedule go for it. Never hurts to learn as much as you can. Just watch your time constraints if it is a school project.

Good luck with your project.

Peace,Rich

The paint part was as in NO COLOUR just the lacquer . And yeah I know the whole guitar is a big package of physics but I just picked something (to me) obvious.

Verhoevenc: Yeah I meant the heel, bummer :D .

More comments!

Sounds like an awesome project. If you have time, I would wind my own PU.

For all things tube amps... check out this forum.

http://hoffmanamps.com/Forum/yabb2/nph-YaBB.pl

Building an amp is easier than building a guitar--you just connect the dots. You just

have to learn the safety stuff for high voltages. After your guitar, you should

DEFINIETLY build an amp! It's awesome.

Okay cool. How much effect will having a smaller heel affect the tone? Not too much?

You should look at a guitar using Physics. Try to come up with an understanding of how the the guitar vibrates and or dampens the strings. Take a look at the structure and materials you are using. Then see if you could quantify or maybe develop a theory on how much effect you think mass or stiffness at the heel will effect the way the strings vibrate. If it is for a science class maybe you could use a little physics research to get a better understanding. Maybe you could dig around a bit-LINK. If you want to look at it electrically you can maybe take a look here-LINK

Peace,Rich

Rich, I think the physics class in question is highschool physics. Maybe it's AP, but that still doesn't buy him much. My AP highschool physics class never got anywhere near bending moment, harmonic oscillations, dampening, or sympathetic vibrations, which I assume is where' you're headed.

You get to build a telecaster as part of your high school physics course?!

Do you have to explain how it works or anything?

Rich, I think the physics class in question is highschool physics. Maybe it's AP, but that still doesn't buy him much. My AP highschool physics class never got anywhere near bending moment, harmonic oscillations, dampening, or sympathetic vibrations, which I assume is where' you're headed.

Russ, I am just suggesting he try to look at the guitar in a way more relevant to the class. Try to find some insights without taking a knuckle dragging "tone killer" and "he said, she said" approch to slapping parts together(that probably sounds worse than I intended :D , but it grasps the concept). Maybe this site would give more appropriate info-Link . When someone takes an interest in a subject they can usually grasp concepts pretty fast.

Peace,Rich

Wow! Wow! Slow down!

All of our teachers who have presented different ideas about what you could do in biology/chemistry/physics/history but they have all said the same thing:

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE PROCESS.

I could f**k up and WOD the geetar as long as I documented all the steps and what went wrong, then what I could do better next time. It is the end product and the way there that is the most important, all the theory behind and the physics is just a small part of it, I'm not even sure I have to include it.

Fryovanni does have a good point though. The amount of work to explain how it all works depends on how deep I want to go. If I have time I could go for it but I'm not really a physics guy.

Edited by Slabbefusk

If you're going to put a standard Tele scratch plate on it, you could go for a set neck & remove the heel completely. Extend the neck join past the front pickup & almost up to the end of the plate...you can then explain the benefits (if any) of extending the neck join & it's effects on sustain, tone etc.

...As for the spoke-wheel adjustment, I've just installed one for the first time & it seems much easier to adjust than at the headstock. I also prefer the look of it but that's just personal taste.

you can then explain the benefits (if any) of extending the neck join & it's effects on sustain, tone etc.

That would be a hard thing to quantify(sustain would need reference to "other" method of construction and some form of test to quantify duration and you would need to set a baseline for change in amplitute to indicate loss of sustain. To quantify a change in "tone" would be extreamly difficult given you have so many options to sample to get an accurate picture of these changes). The supposition as to why and what will happen backed by supporting scientific theory. Then some form or double blind(maybe really dark sunglasses :D ) test with a handful of his buddies testing his new cool guitar against a standard production model might be more than adequit for this kind of project. I think the idea of a legitimate excuse to jam with his friends in class would be cool too :DB)

Have fun with your project!

Peace,Rich

Biliousfrog: I haven't decided if I'm going to have a scratchplate yet. And a set neck wouldn't be old school (tele-wise) would it? I'm going bolt on so that If I 'm not happy with my own neck I can buy one. Buying one might rule out changing the heel hmm....

Fryovanni: The jam idea was cool! I think I could ask my guitar teacher to bring his USA Tele and have him try mine as well, then I would try his and so on just to compare the tone, playability etc.