Raw Telecaster Project

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

I've decided against filling the holes and will be making a really small cavity with a coverplate where the bushings may dwell unseen. Doing this feels right to me and is IMO more aesthetically pleasing.

IMO it's making excuses for not (easily) repairing a mistake. But then again...that's just my opinion

I think bushings deter from the overall look of a guitar even if they are in a perfectly straight line. In short, they're BUTT UGLY. I haven't done anything to the guitar yet so there is still time for me to change my mind.

About the string changing; I really don't break or change strings that often for the coverplate to be annoying.

Edited by Slabbefusk

It doesnt seem that annoying does it - but it will become so!!

My last tele had a ferruleless back

11-1.jpg

In bright light you can see there is a chunk of ebony inlayed in the back

th_4-2.jpg

Dont tell anyone but i did this because i wasnt happy with the spacing of the ferrules on it :D , the block could have been made of something like brass instead and i prefer the idea to individual ferrules.. especially after spending a hell of a lot of time digging ball ends out of a friends telecaster because a ferrule had fallen out and he though it would be ok without it

I was just afraid that I would ruin the look of the backside if I did fill the holes. The thing you did with the ebony was nice, I might try something like that.

My problem here is that I hate the look of ferrules and I don't want to ruin good looking wood by filling it with something. It wouldn't be seen if I did a solid finish but that isn't what I want.

This sounds like a familiar discussion, Wez. :D

I agree that the cover plate can be a cool looking aesthetic feature, which is why I decided to go for one. And i'm in the same boat, don't change strings a whole lot. However, in the event one breaks i'm sure i'll find the cover plate a bit of a pain. But not enough of a pain to not do it. :D

This sounds like a familiar discussion, Wez. :D

I agree that the cover plate can be a cool looking aesthetic feature, which is why I decided to go for one. And i'm in the same boat, don't change strings a whole lot. However, in the event one breaks i'm sure i'll find the cover plate a bit of a pain. But not enough of a pain to not do it. :D

yeah - thats what i was thinking matt. Personally anything thats gets in the way is a problem for me. The coverplate might not be a problem 99% of the time but its the 1% that would annoy me.

but whatever - you are all big enough to make your own decisions at the end of the day and i am sure it will work out fine for you

• 2 weeks later...

The whole thing just bugged the crap out of me so I WILL FILL THE THE HOLES. I ordered some dowels and took the opportunity to buy some cellulose lacquer at the same time. If it doesn't work out this time then on goes the coverplate or some other contraption.

Edited by Slabbefusk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Okay,

haven't done much lately except for filling the holes. If they turn out bad again then I will go for a coverplate.

I have a question too. If I want to go around the body with a small roundover bit should I do that before or after I route the neck pocket?

i think you should do it before, cause when you rout out the neck pocket, you have 2 thin pieces of wood around the neck which could get broken because of the router :D

Time for an update!

Things I've done the past weeks:

Routed all the cavities

Routed the neck pocket

Put a roundover the body

Re-drilled the string-through holes (they came out nice and straight now :D )

To do list:

Drill alot of holes :D (connect cavities to the control cavity, neck, tuners, input jack, pickguard, bushings etc. )

Pore-filling and sanding

Lacquer

At least it looks like a tele now!

th_P2100067.jpg

Looks like a tele to me.....I think that fixing your problems as you go along says alot about you.It is a learning process and you seem to be doing just fine.Keep up the good work.Your next build will be ten times better ,as your learning curve is comming along very well.Remember their not mistakes , they are lessons.

Looks like a tele to me.....I think that fixing your problems as you go along says alot about you.It is a learning process and you seem to be doing just fine.Keep up the good work.Your next build will be ten times better ,as your learning curve is comming along very well.Remember their not mistakes , they are lessons.

Thanks for the kind words :D. And yeah I feel that I've learned alot and I've sorta come over my fear for power tools :D.

I look at the setup as a seperate process.When you finish the building process,and do the setup, do you have anyone that you can go to for a review of your work?They could point out any problems and give you tips on how to approch them.That is what I did with my builds.More lessions to be had.hahaha

• 3 weeks later...

Things I got done today:

• Mounted the tuners
  • Testfitted the bridge
  • Drilled holes for bolts in the neckpocket
  • Enlarged the holes in the control-plate
  • Drilled a hole for the input-jack
  • Drilled holes for the string-ferrules (actually looks good now :D )

• Wire everything up
    • Mount the neck
    • Shape the nut
    • Make a pickguard
    • Finish the guitar :D
      The guitar is supposed to be done the 4th of April so I think I'll make it. I've
Edited by Slabbefusk