My First Rebuild

Here are a few images of where I am right now with my first attempt at rebuilding a guitar. I am very new to this and and suggestions, feedback, comments would be appretiated. My whole concept stems from getting a free squier strat from one of my friends and not liking the way it sounded. This being the case I decided to rebuild it from the ground up and make it look, sound, and feel the way I want it to. That is my idea anyway. I started with a red squier strat and what I have done so far is taken the paint off, cut off and sanded the top horn for a more telecaster feel to it. I plan on filling the tremolo cavity (via Brian Calvert's tutorial) and mounting a tune-o-matic with a bigsby b-500 tailpiece on it. Tell me what you think.

Picture008.jpg

this is after I stripped the paint and took off the horn.

Picture017.jpg

this is a pic of the fill for the trem cavity as it is now.

Picture012.jpg

Picture007.jpg

these are before and after images of the modified horn.

Picture029.jpg

and this is the stage I am at right now in my project.

Edited by Guitarsquid

If you want to use a tune-o-matic bridge, you may need to incorporate a neck angle. I've never looked too closely at a tune-o-matic, but I think they are considerably taller than the Strat/Tele type bridge.

You should probably know the minimum and maximum height of the bridge you'll be using, so you can draw it on paper and figure out the neck angle.

Another sucker takes the bait.Get used to spending almost every waking hour of free time working on or thinking about working on guitars.It starts harmlessly by rebuilding a guitar and leads to buying specialty tools and expensive lumber.You will probably use a spray can on this one and maybe the next but then it will be a compressor and an HVLP gun and filters and dyes and micro mesh.Welcome to the fold brother.Kiss your girlfriend goodbye and slap the bugger that gave you that guitar.You will soon be one of us.BWAHAAHAA :D

Edited by !WOOD!!

Another sucker takes the bait.Get used to spending almost every waking hour of free time working on or thinking about working on guitars.It starts harmlessly by rebuilding a guitar and leads to buying specialty tools and expensive lumber.You will probably use a spray can on this one and maybe the next but then it will be a compressor and an HVLP gun and filters and dyes and micro mesh.Welcome to the fold brother.Kiss your girlfriend goodbye and slap the bugger that gave you that guitar.You will soon be one of us.BWAHAAHAA :D

ha ha !WOOD!! u hit the nail right on the head :D

Thats cool squid, Welcome to the forum. What is the plan for the finish. pickgaurd and pickups? -Vinny

I plan on veneering the top in flame maple (also via Brian Calvert) and I plan on staining that in cherry and then doing a gibsonesque vintage style sunburst in dark transparent brown. I will probably finish it with a clear coat of some sort and buff it to a nice shine. As for the pickguard and pickups I plan on having a custom cream/black/cream pickguard made that doesn't have the notch for a standard strat trem and I am thinking or putting in a humbucker at the bridge and two antiquity II surf singles for the mid and neck (all Seymour Duncan). These are just my plans and I am very open to suggestions. I am sort of going for a tone that is some combination of The Ventures and a Gibson Les Paul (or ES-335).

Edited by Guitarsquid